Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default New to Chester County from South Louisiana

Hello. I am recently moved to West Chester from South Louisiana. Back in LA there were really no gun clubs just open sheriff ranges or private land to shoot at. I am wondering if I could get some information on the area. I was a very active instructor back in LA. I have my NRA certs as a Chief Range Safety Officer, Instructor/Counselor in Rifle, Muzzleloading Rifle, Shotgun, Home Safety, Pistol, Inside and Outside the Home. I was also a Louisiana State conceal carry instructor (a mandatory class is required in LA for a CCW permit). I also was the shooting sports director for a few years at my local boy scout council.

I would very much like to get into a group where I can continue to shoot and teach. Any help would be appreciated. Thank y'all.

Stephen Johnston

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: New to Chester County from South Louisiana

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Where in Louisiana did you come from? I have outlaws in NO, St Charles, and St Tammany parishes so I have wandered into the state a couple of times. I can't help much with your question as it is not my home turf since the 1960's but I am sure someone will be along shortly.
    Last edited by gghbi; April 17th, 2016 at 07:23 PM.

(Chester County)

Thanks. I grew up in Morehouse but lived the last 6 years in Houma and worked in St. Charles.

(Chester County)

Steve, welcome to the Commonwealth and welcome to the zoo (pafoa.org).

There are plenty of local gun ranges, though I am not a member of any, others can fill you in on their favs. I am blessed to have private land to shoot on about 2 miles from my home. One of the places I'd recommend checking out is a brand new, as in not even open yet, range in Avondale, on ft. 41, just South of rt. 1. There is also Target master on rt. 202, just North of the DE stateline.

(Chester County)

I don't think they are taking new members right now but my club is a good place to shoot. You can be my guest to check it out if you like. Welcome to beautiful Chester County.

http://nccsc.us/

(Chester County)

Welcome to Chester County! I am also in Chester County so here is my input.

I don't frequent indoor ranges and I'm not sure about the teaching availabilities but Targetmaster in Chadds ford and French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville are both good choices.

There are many outdoor ranges in the Chester County area and nearby. I belong to Southern Chester County Sportmans and Farmers Assoc. (SCCSFA) and Kimberton Fish and Game Assoc.

SCCSFA offers NRA classes and has USPSA, NRA 3 gun, and Rimfire silhouette matches so I'm certain you'd find something to offer with your background.
    Kimberton doesn't typically hold many NRA classes but they do have the official John C. Garand matches every year.

The only downside with most outdoor ranges is they are usually hard to get into as membership is most often full.

Good luck with your searches
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Chester County)

Welcome to Chester County. In the last few years, demand for gun club membership has exceeded supply, so it takes some persistence to get into one. Check out SCCSFA https://sccsfa.org/ and Atglen http://www.atglensportsmensclub.org/index.asp There is also a club in West Chester that does trap shooting http://www.westchestergunclub.com/
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

Thank y'all for your responses. Some discouraging news hearing that most seem to be member full at this time. The whole gun club is very new to me.

I have been to Targetmaster for just some simple refresher on my skills. Nice indoor range. Very much not interested in my instructor certifications however.

I will keep looking into joining a club though. Being a good ol' southern boy, firearms is something that is part of my life.

Pacpiper, you mentioned the different shooting activities at SCCSFA. Are they for members only or are matches open to the public?

(Chester County)

The West Caln Sportsmen's Club near Wagontown has open enrollment. Once you apply it takes about 60 days to be voted in.

http://www.wcsportsmen.org/

Good luck and welcome to Pennsylvania where "The right of the citizens to bear arms, in defence of themselves and the State, shall not be questioned."
    "From the files of Police Squad" - Frank Drebin

Welcome chester county. I live out in Parkesburg and belong to New Holland. If you ever want to go shoot let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast