Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Carrying Under 21 Question

Hi all, I am currently 19 years old. I am a PA resident, but I go to college in New York.

I have been reading up for a little while and learned about the PA laws and things for getting a handgun under the age of 21 but over 18. I have talked to my dad and he is willing to gift me a gun and I have talked to a local sheriff who said he would be willing to do the transfer if I were to do a private transaction. So I will be getting a handgun when I get backf from this semester of college.
    I was wondering if anyone knew about any laws in NY that might prohibit me from bringing a handgun with me to NY. I will have the handgun with me in a townhouse and not on a college property so I don't have to worry about their specifc rules. And will I still be able to open carry in NY (I don't really plan to, just curious)?

How would you recommend I carry/transport the handgun when driving from my house in PA to my townhouse in NY?
    Are there any specific things I should be aware of in general while having the handgun and being und?

A side note: I am really interested in a Glock, specifically the G30. What are your opinions on it? I like that it is a .45acp and it is small enough to conceal when I turn 18, but it is not too small for my hands. I have shot it before and was satisfied with it. I just have to narrow it down to what version of it that I want (assuming you guys don't convince me to get something else).

edit: if this belongs somewhere else, could a staff member please move it for me?
    Last edited by muffinman1604; April 14th, 2016 at 01:24 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carrying Under 21 Question

You will not be able to carry in New York under any circumstance. I believe you will also not be able to bring the gun to New York under any circumstance you mentioned (to keep at your townhome).

As for PA specific answers, check this recent thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=300726

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for the quick reply. I see that it looks like I will need a concealed carry permit to carry a handgun in NY. Does anyone have or know specifics on if I will be able to keep a handgun in my home?
    I think I now have sufficient info on PA regulations, just a shame that it appears I won't be able to bring anything with me into NY.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman1604 View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply. I see that it looks like I will need a concealed carry permit to carry a handgun in NY. Does anyone have or know specifics on if I will be able to keep a handgun in my home?
    I think I now have sufficient info on PA regulations, just a shame that it appears I won't be able to bring anything with me into NY.
    Nope. You need a permit just to posses a handgun in N.Y. I don't think that's even possible until you're 21, if ever depending on if you are considered a N.Y.resident.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Nope. You need a permit just to posses a handgun in N.Y. I don't think that's even possible until you're 21, if ever depending on if you are considered a N.Y.resident.
    Okay, thank you for that info. Looks like any handgun will have to stay home in PA until I turn 21.

Out of curiosity, what about for a 22 rifle?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman1604 View Post
    Okay, thank you for that info. Looks like any handgun will have to stay home in PA until I turn 21.

Out of curiosity, what about for a 22 rifle?
    Depends on the rifle. You would have to comply with the "safe act". I'm not an expert on that, but I'm sure someone else here will know what's exactly legal or not.

(Berks County)

NY .....needs to change Libertys torch to a shepards crook to herd all of the Sheeple in the cities . It's shame the island isn't its own district just like DC ....upstate is actually pretty darn conservative ,they just don't have the population .

OP ....be extremely careful and make sure you get all of the legal straight , NY is no joke when it comes to firearms regulations. I think even long gun requires a permit/ registration but I may be wrong. I am going to be in the finger lakes in sept for a vacation ....all non lethal carry for me and the Mrs. Kimber pepper blasters .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Montgomery County)

thanks for the input, i am gonna keep looking around to see what i can find out about it. i may end up calling a couple sheriffs in the surrounding area to get their input as well.
    i go to college just outside of rochester as well and i agree, the conservative to liberal balance is much more even up here than by the city

(Bucks County)

Another point: If your Dad is your Biological Father, Not step dad, you have no obligation to transfer thru this sheriff. It is a legal transfer without a paper trail. This is true from Mother-Daughter, Father-Son, Grandparent to Grandchild. NOT legal would be a transfer between you and an older sibling. (Or younger)

I am not a Lawyer

(Cumberland County)

There is just no feasible way to get a permit to carry in New York over or under 21. Your 2nd amendment right doesn't apply there as far as New York legislatures are concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast