Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Benedum center cc?

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Have they gotten to the point of wanding or metal detectors yet? Are there obvious no firearms signs?
    They were not wanding the last time I was there in August. Also saw no signs or metal detectors, and I was looking for them

And I was carrying A Glock 22, and spare mag.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

They were not wanding, patting, checking bags, etc. as of December 2017. FYI

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Time to disarm, you patrons of the arts.

This kind of security is a joke. I'll bet we could come up with 10 different ways someone could get a gun or knife into one of the theaters. Right offhand - say you have a pacemaker and let the 80-yr old or 450-pound guard wand you. He ain't bending down to wand your ankle holster.

Metal detectors coming to Cultural District venues
    SHARON EBERSON
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    OCT 1, 2018 10:15 AM

Late-arriving theater-goers will have to mend their ways and get Downtown earlier than ever, as metal detectors and bag inspections are coming to venues in the Cultural District.

A review of practices at similar venues around the country spurred the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust to institute the kind of security measures usually seen at arenas and stadiums. Patrons are asked to arrive up to 45 minutes earlier than usual.

“Enhanced guest entry practices” are coming this month to the Byham Theater, August Wilson Center and Benedum Center for the Performing Arts. The Pittsburgh Public Theater’s O’Reilly Theater, which is owned by the trust, will soon follow suit, said Kevin C. Wilkes, the trust’s chief security officer.

Heinz Hall has no plans to add metal detectors but management is discussing it, according to a spokesperson. Smaller trust-owned or -operated venues, including the Greer Cabaret Theater and Harris Theater, are not on the list “at this particular time,” Mr. Wilkes said.

“The was a risk-based decision, based on our largest venues within the district,” he said, adding that the new practices could go into effect at those theaters in the future if there was a need.

The trust announcement said it was “highly recommended that guests arrive up to 45 minutes earlier than they have in the past.” To entice theater-goers to arrive early, “affected venues will offer discounted drinks and concessions during a ‘Happy Half Hour’ prior to each show.”

The inspections will be phased in, starting with the Byham Theater on Oct. 13 for Deborah Colker Dance’s “Cão sem Plumas”; the August Wilson Center Oct. 20 for Soul Sessions with Faith Evans; and the Benedum Center Nov. 16 for comedian Billy Gardell.

“There was no incident. We want to be ahead of the curve. It has become a new industry best practice,” Mr. Wilkes said.

He said more than 50 performing arts centers and theaters nationwide have already taken new security measures or are in the process of doing so. Beyond concerns for the safety of all who visit or work at the venues, “third-party partners” such as Disney and Live Nation have begun to require that venues implement additional security measures.

“All of those things came together -- guests, stakeholders, safety, volunteer safety, industry best practice, the new requirements from performing partners -- and we decided that this was something we definitely should do,” Mr. Wilkes said.

The metal detector used will be the walk-through Ceia Magnetometer, the one used in the majority of theaters studied by the trust. Visitors can pass through with keys and cell phones pocketed and belts in place. The equipment is designed to “only alert on the consistency and density of materials consist with firearms such as guns, or knives,” but not “nonlethal items.”

At relatively small venues such as the Byham, the trust will have two walk-through detectors, an expedited lane for people who opt out because of medical reasons or accessibility concerns, and an express entrance for those who don’t have bags to inspect. At the Benedum, there will be five detectors and an additional expedited entry at guest services.

Experienced theater-goers already know to plan for parking and early restaurant reservations if they are headed to shows that usually start at 7 or 8 p.m. on weekdays and Saturdays.

"You have got to applaud the security measures while recognizing that it will take some time for guests to get used to them,” said Kevin Joyce, who has run The Carlton restaurant in BNY Mellon Center for more than 20 years.

“I don't think that there will be any long-term suffering for our industry.”

The restaurant offers complimentary parking and limousine service to dinner guests heading to the Cultural District and PPG Paints Arena.

Mr. Wilkes said the theaters’ Happy Half Hour was suggested as a way to make the venues more of a “destination location” and “to take some of that edge off of long lines that may queue up coming into the theater.”

As for habitual late-comers, “we’re going to try to change that behavior if we can, so as not to infringe on their experience,” he said.

I'm conflicted. I'm a season ticket holder and really like going there. I'm not sure I'm willing to give it up.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Scruff, empty pms please.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Scruff, empty pms please.
    d'oh!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Meh. Concealed is concealed. Nothing changes for me.
    Exactly.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Washington County)

I despise this 'security' culture. Metal detectors in public gatherings and cameras up your ass at every corner.

"Never go to clubs with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe inside, but what about all those *****s waiting outside with guns? They know you ain't got one." - Chris Rock

I called the trust and left a message with the Circles member director asking

1) What other security they're providing if they are disarming me.
    2) Have they considered a Circles member bypass line to avoid the crowd (secretly hoping that the bypass would be devoid of detectors).

I'll report back when she calls me back.

Another key item in that article to notes is that industry partners force them into this sort of thing, and one example they give is Disney. In other words, Disney says "you must do such and such or you can't put on any of our shows." For an organization like the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, losing that sort of thing would be a financial disaster so they have no choice but to capitulate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast