Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unknown Sources?

According to the Lyman Reloading Manual, it tells me, paraphrased:

'Don't pick up brass off the range or reload anything from an unknown source'.

Wise? I would inspect it and clean it like any other brass and then resize it. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Unknown Sources?

I shoot plenty of range pick up brass. Pistol brass rarely "wears out" or developed cracks. Rifle brass deserves a more thorough inspection, especially at the neck. Cracked or dented brass goes in the scrap bucket.

Some people avoid range pick ups, some people love it. I see it as a way to save money for plinking. If the brass makes it through my reloading process, it's probably A-OK. Just keep an eye out for any flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    I shoot plenty of range pick up brass. Pistol brass rarely "wears out" or developed cracks. Rifle brass deserves a more thorough inspection, especially at the neck. Cracked or dented brass goes in the scrap bucket.

Some people avoid range pick ups, some people love it. I see it as a way to save money for plinking. If the brass makes it through my reloading process, it's probably A-OK. Just keep an eye out for any flaws.
    Thanks for the feedback. How big a dent is unacceptable? Also, if the mouth of a case is slightly 'bent in', can it be corrected in the resizing process or do I need to chuck it (new to reloading). Thanks. The next time I find an example I'll upload a pic.

(Bucks County)

Headstamp tells you its source

Inspection tells you its condition.

Judgement tells you whether or not to use it.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    'Don't pick up brass off the range or reload anything from an unknown source'.
    Wise? I would inspect it and clean it like any other brass and then resize it. Thanks.

For me if the load is pushing max, hunting or for best accuracy I'll regulate it to known brass.
    Plinking, mid/low level loads have no problem using found brass.
    The question that will be educational is how others inspect used brass.
    Appearance is obvious but in this day and age of methods for cleaning brass just about any case can be made to look new.
    I'll start with one and sit back to hear from the others:
    If the headstamp on the brass is worn smooth and/or there is no resistance when seating primers its probably been loaded quite a few times.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lycoming County)

I would say around 80% of my brass has been range scavenged. I inspect them and measure them. Then I just toss any that look suspect. I've never personally had any problems with range pick up brass.

(Washington County)

The dent isn't too big as long as you can still fill it with the right amount of powder lol. For dinged case mouths, I use a small screw driver stuck in the case mouth to make them round again. I am a brass rat. I leave no brass on the range.

12g53u.jpg
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Brass was meant to be picked up. Isn't that why they make it shiny?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Brass was meant to be picked up. Isn't that why they make it shiny?

That's why I clean mine carefully, so I can find it in the grass easier.
    Pistol brass I pick up. Especially .45, 9mm I am well stocked in. Rifle, not as much. No one leaves 30-30 or 7.62x54r brass behind. What .223 I find on the ground is usually steel, or mil-surp and since I don't have a swager, I leave it for someone better equipped. I do hate losing my brass though. I shot about 80 rounds last night at a match and in the end I could not find 2 of the cases, really bothered me.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. How big a dent is unacceptable? Also, if the mouth of a case is slightly 'bent in', can it be corrected in the resizing process or do I need to chuck it (new to reloading). Thanks. The next time I find an example I'll upload a pic.
    I've reloaded some pretty beat up brass. As long as the powder charge fits in the case - dents pop out at the point of ignition and fire form to the chamber just like any other piece of brass. As for the case mouth, run it through the press. If it cleans up, you're good to go. If not, you're no worse off than if you just tossed it.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast