Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Lightbulb Re: Anybody have a Bighorn safe with electronic keypad?

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Allow me to remind you of your own words:

I know, and there's a better chance that I end up with a simple dial...but, I am easily distracted by shiny objects.

I have ZERO knowledge on how the hybrid lock systems work, but if there is even a remote possibility that the electric part could fail and lock the thing up tight, it would be out of consideration for me.

I just watched an install video, and they are actually 2 seperate systems. Initially, I thought they may not be completely seperate systems because it looked like the only connection from outside to inside was just the wiring harness. I was wrong. During the install video, they show a metal spindle that connects the dial to the lock for use with the mechanical portion, and the standard 4 wire connection for the electronic portion. In the video, it really does appear to be 2 independent systems just morphed together. There is even an option ($) to use Bluetooth. I have never used Bluetooth for anything in my life, so that's an option that I will pass on. It may (not) shock some people, but I'm not the brightest bulb...however, to me it truly seems like the best of both worlds combined into one easy to swap system. After watching the install video, and seeing how exactly it functions, I may eventually be a partial hypocrite and give it a try. I'll see if I'm computarded enough to embed the install video.

I never understood why "fast" access to a safe was so desirable. I have guns accessible outside of the safe. I don't keep things in the safe that I may need "in a hurry". I can easily open my dial in under 30 seconds.

I have 1 accessible outside of the safe, as well as another biometric safe in another area of the house that provides very quick access. Quick access is not required, but it is a nice feature....until RIGHT NOW. I generally have between 2-8 kids storming through the house on any given day, so all but 1 are secured just to keep them safe from the kids that I don't own. The 2 that I own are not the problem, it's all the rest that I do not trust to use common sense.
    Correction, Streaker embedded the video after my failed attempt.
    Last edited by MJH; April 14th, 2016 at 07:21 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anybody have a Bighorn safe with electronic keypad?

Never crossed my mind to keep it simple, but depending on the upcoming event...that might be a valid option. You really are special!

(Lancaster County)

Chick really knows how to screw.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

You embedded the hell out of that chick! Thanks.
    Last edited by MJH; April 14th, 2016 at 07:18 PM.

(Berks County)

While perusing the net for safe cracking info (I know someone that can't open his safe) I see people talking about removing the interior door panel every so often and checking that no bolts, screws etc are coming loose.

This seems to be verified by locksmiths that chime in on threads saying it is a good idea to do it once a year. Also throw some lube on the moving metal parts. Guess I gotta do that to mine one of these days.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    While perusing the net for safe cracking info (I know someone that can't open his safe) I see people talking about removing the interior door panel every so often and checking that no bolts, screws etc are coming loose.

This seems to be verified by locksmiths that chime in on threads saying it is a good idea to do it once a year. Also throw some lube on the moving metal parts. Guess I gotta do that to mine one of these days.
    There is a locksmith that has a video where he states that if you do not have a locksmith service your mechanical lock yearly that you can expect it to fail rather quickly. On the other end, yet another locksmith says mechanical locks can be used several times a day for 100yrs and they will never fail. I would guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

A somewhat regular lube and oil wouldn't have helped that guy you know because it was electrical issues, but I did read about some internal bolts or screws backing out over time.

Putting some lube on the moving parts and eyeballing your nuts and bolt certainly couldn't hurt. Oh, wait...we were talking about safes, right?

I have been on YouTube for countless hours in the past few days. All that time spent trying to figure out the fix and I am still having to drill it open. I was hoping for an easy and cheap fix. There's a video of a safe with seized locking bolts, and the fix was spraying a shit load of wd40 through the cracks near the bolts..and it worked.

I will post pictures of my freshly drilled hole tomorrow.

(Berks County)

I've had the mechanical for a few years now. I have never had it serviced and it works great. Add to the fact that very few people are able to operate a dial, makes it a very secure choice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86 View Post
    I've had the mechanical for a few years now. I have never had it serviced and it works great. Add to the fact that very few people are able to operate a dial, makes it a very secure choice.
    One thing I also noticed recently is that locksmiths and manufactures say not to spin the shit out of a dial lock. Just turn it.

(Berks County)

My S&G is about 30yrs old. Never heard of maintenance on it. It works the same as it did when new. Locksmith is dying art, paying them to lube your lock might keep them in buisiness until you really need them I guess. Then too maybe if your safe lives in high humidity or near an ocean you need to service it. Mine is dry and clean and the speakers don't rattle the windows anymore so it's been good here.

(Berks County)

It's finally open!!

From start to finish it was about an hour, with some bullshiting in between the different stages. He had to go through the outer skin, drywall, 1/4" plate, (3) 1/8" hardened steel plates and finally the locking unit. The hardened plates took longer than the rest. At each stage he stopped and used a scope to make sure it was going as planned. He got it open with just the 1 small (1/4"?) hole, which was then filled with fire resistant putty. The location of the hole will be completely covered by any lock that I end up using in the future.

Final cost was just under $300, which is very reasonable when compared to the few other options that I contacted.

Should anybody in SEPA need the services of a skilled and professional locksmith, you won't be disappointed. He measured several times to ensure he had the exact spot before drilling. He also laid out drop cloths to collect all of the metal shavings and drywall dust. And as a bonus, he is a gun-toting 2A supporter.

A1 SECURITY CENTER
    13 Coffman St
    Malvern, PA 19355-1512
    (610)647-5042
    William Young, C.M.L., C.P.S.
    a1securitycenter.Com

I get nothing for promoting his business, simply passing along the contact info for a skilled locksmith. After talking to a few places about doing the work, I have learned that people like him are becoming harder to find. He has a storefront and is an actual professional locksmith. A lot of these other locksmith companies advertising online or in the YP are really not as they appear. Despite having different phone numbers/different company names/different cities/etc,...the large majority were actually routed to the same 1 or 2 call centers, located god knows where. Then these national call center places subcontract out the work to whomever they can get for cheap. Bottom line, if you ever need a professional locksmith, make sure the person or company is really as they appear in their ads.

If you need locksmith services, and you're out of his service area, he knows of other skilled locksmiths that I am sure he would gladly refer you to so that you get a professional instead of a monkey with a drill.

Now for the pictures...

Here's a picture right after the hole was drilled. The new hole is the lowest one of the bunch. The larger hole in the center is for the wiring (electronic) or spindle (mechanical), the holes located above/below the larger hole are for the mounting screws for the keypad, and I have no idea about the tiny holes on each side.

This is after he filled the entire hole from front to back with fire resistant putty. It is now rock hard, and he said that it is very each to paint, should I desire.

And here is the source of the problem, now with a fresh ventilation hole near the center. He was drilling to take out a tiny latch-type piece inside of the unit, and he nailed it the first time.

Thanks to everybody that tried to help. I appreciate it very much!!

Last edited by MJH; April 15th, 2016 at 05:56 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast