Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Anybody have a Bighorn safe with electronic keypad?

Shop locksmith who wont destroy it. Find one at half your quoted price. Grinder will start fire in the safe as well as outside the safe. Firing the relocker drives the price up. Good smith will avoid that. I understand money being tight. I would hate to see it get worse. Good luck.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    That trick only works when you are standing on extra large ammo cans...
    I filled one with Tannerite and strapped it to the safe door. Just need somebody brave like yourself to set it off from across the hallway, it's totally a safe distance...in excess of 12 ft. I'll be here all day.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Shop locksmith who wont destroy it. Find one at half your quoted price. Grinder will start fire in the safe as well as outside the safe. Firing the relocker drives the price up. Good smith will avoid that. I understand money being tight. I would hate to see it get worse. Good luck.
    Yeah, it could get worse but the idea of taking out aggression through a bad ass saw sounds gratifying....although not the best idea, sadly.
    Just got off the phone with another option. He is a little less money than the other quotes, and will only drill 1 hole behind the keypad. I think he might be getting the work.

I saw on youtube that the doors can be removed by opening at a 45 degree angle and lifting. If your model has that option then maybe you can just replace the door. with a dial combination of course!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I saw on youtube that the doors can be removed by opening at a 45 degree angle and lifting. If your model has that option then maybe you can just replace the door. with a dial combination of course!
    Had the same thought. Trash the front door to get it open by cutting a hole in a weaker area so I could smash through the drywall, pull up the latch in the lock and by hand move the c-channel that controls the bolts. That way only damage is to the removable door.

I am still waiting on a shipped price for just a door, but the impression I got yesterday over the phone was that it will likely cost almost as much as buying a complete safe shipped from Costco. The door is by far the most expensive part, and shipping would be freight only from Idaho. Tech lady said I was the first to ever ask for just a door. Hard to believe, but ok.
    * Called back about the cost of a door and they can't even offer a price because they don't have extra doors just laying around. She claims to still be looking into the matter, but I am not holding my breath on a return call.

I think the least shitty option is just drill it, and replace the locking system in the future. Scheduled a guy from Malvern to drive up here tomorrow morning. He can drill 1 small hole in the area covered by the keypad or dial.

I will just chain my little puppy to the safe whenever the house is empty. The dog provides only 1 minute of fire protection, but otherwise the contents are secure even without a door. (Kidding) 40lbs of dog food and what seems like 60lbs of waste every 2 weeks may finally have paid off as a temporary safeguard, pun intended.
    Last edited by MJH; April 14th, 2016 at 04:00 PM.

(Berks County)

I just followed up with a tech at Securam about the inside part of the lock from a conversation we had yesterday. While the lock has worked great up until now, I told him that I intend to use a mechanical lock as a replacement. He said that they now offer a combination mechanical and electronic locking system, but it's just under $500 if purchased directly from Securam. Uh, no thanks.

I was curious to see what it looked like, and possibly find some reviews because it has been on the market since 2015 Shot Show. I couldn't find anybody complaining about failures, or any real problems for that matter. There maybe some, but 5 minutes with Google yielded nothing negative aside from the cost. Then I found a place selling the whole system for $300. While that is a nice chunk of change, it's not unreasonable considering the cost to replace this identical lock that I have now will be in the $130-$160 price range, depending on where it is sold. So actually, the fancy double style lock is roughly $150 more than this cheap POS that came with the safe. They designed it to be a very straightforward install, or so they say.

I am not getting anything now, but that double style lock is very interesting as a possible choice when the time comes.

Seems like great idea, and I know other companies have been using similar systems for years now. My biggest worry is that it's too fancy, meaning all the more things to go wrong.

Just figured I would post a couple of pictures I found while screen shopping for things I can afford right now.
    Last edited by MJH; April 14th, 2016 at 05:20 PM.

I know this has been hashed out, but it seems the failure is the lack of a key override.

I looked at a lot of safes and most of the dial mechanisms looked to be cheaply made on most consumer grade safes.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

For about $20, we can get a hasp bolted on, then secured with a padlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I am not getting anything now, but that double style lock is very interesting as a possible choice when the time comes.
    Allow me to remind you of your own words:

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    NEVER AGAIN will I buy any safe with an electronic lock. It's quick and convenient....right up until it just fucking dies.
    I have ZERO knowledge on how the hybrid lock systems work, but if there is even a remote possibility that the electric part could fail and lock the thing up tight, it would be out of consideration for me.

I never understood why "fast" access to a safe was so desirable. I have guns accessible outside of the safe. I don't keep things in the safe that I may need "in a hurry". I can easily open my dial in under 30 seconds.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

People have trouble learning the steps of the dial, that is only reason for electronic.

Get a Sargent and greenleaf. They work great.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast