Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Clamp on Free Float Handguard???

Hey Gents,

I picked up a used barrel in 6.8 SPC for an AR build.... I got a Smoke'n deal on the Barrel and bolt combination..... The only
    Down side is that it has a pinned muzzle brake for a Wilson suppressor, to make it the legal 16". I was going to drill the pin out, and pin one that fits my Omega suppressor...... But, the pin the previous owner used must be made outta diamonds..... I burned up several bits, even using cutting oil, and cobalt bits.... Barely made any headway at all.... Soooo
    I kinda desided screw it I'll just live with the Wilson break and forgo using my suppressor.

I happen to have a LWRC 6" FF quadrail in my parts bin, and it clamps on the stock barrel nut.... My problem is I would really like a longer Handguard 12" or 13", preferably keymod, and since I can't get the muzzle break off.... I am stuck with the clamp on types that mount on the stock barrel nut. I think YHM's SLR and some Of Troy's are a clamp on and doesn't cost a million bucks....

Does anyone know if that will work for me? Are there any others that...... A. Use the factory barrel nut, and B. Does not require the muzzle break be removed!

Sorry for being so long winded!!!
    Thanks!
    Fred
    Last edited by 1096369fred; April 7th, 2016 at 11:11 PM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Clamp on Free Float Handguard???

Midwest Industries has a two piece free float but its a quad rail. Fortis makes one too that might be more of what you want, but its not cheap. I'm assuming there is no FSB to contend with since you didn't mention it. If no FSB and it has a low profile gas block, Samson rails use standard barrel nuts as well.

Take the barrel to a machine shop, pay the guy $10 and they'll more than likely drill it out while you wait.

I'd then buy an ALG rail for it...with MLOK, not Keymod.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Just snagged a FDE Troy Alpha rail used, it is only a 9" but should look pretty good on the 6.8! Of course I don't have any
    Guns in FDE..... I could ceracoat the Alpha black, Or hunt for some FDE furniture! What the hell the hunt is half the fun!

*i may still try to drill this out myself, or find a shop that could do it..... It seems a shame to have a can, and not use it....
    The Omega is great with a 300 B/O and 7.62..... So I gotta try the 6.8...... IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!!
    Last edited by 1096369fred; April 8th, 2016 at 11:27 PM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....