Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default traveling state to state?

would like to goto florida again on vacation, the question is, do i have to travel through the states that recognize pa's ltcf or can you travel through maryland and south carolina if your intention is florida?

(Chester County)

Default Re: traveling state to state?

I am not a laywer.

You should be able to but just make sure you have the gun unloaded and locked into a case separate from the ammo. No loaded mags either.

If you're pulled over do not consent to any search of any kind.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

From PA to Florida there are only two states that do not recognize the PA LTCF: Maryland and South Carolina.

Because of FEDRAL law regarding the interstate transportation of firearms, if you unload the weapon and store it and it ammo seperately in the car, you will be legal for traveling through MD.

South Carolina is a "Console/Glove Box" Carry state. You can legally have a loaded firearm in the glove box or console of your car without the need of a CWP or LTCF. So when you get to the SC border, pull the gun out of your holster and put it in the console.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    Also take note, as far as I know, Florida, Georgia, South and North Carolina (Not sure about VA or WV) are all "notify" states - meaning that you have to notify an officer that you are armed during a traffic stop.

Another bit of info for you:
    http://carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php

This lets you know what states honor your LTCF that you are going to travel through.

Hope this helps you!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    From PA to Florida there are only two states that do not recognize the PA LTCF: Maryland and South Carolina.

Because of FEDRAL law regarding the interstate transportation of firearms, if you unload the weapon and store it and it ammo seperately in the car, you will be legal for traveling through MD.

South Carolina is a "Console/Glove Box" Carry state. You can legally have a loaded firearm in the glove box or console of your car without the need of a CWP or LTCF. So when you get to the SC border, pull the gun out of your holster and put it in the console.

Also take note, as far as I know, Florida, Georgia, South and North Carolina (Not sure about VA or WV) are all "notify" states - meaning that you have to notify an officer that you are armed during a traffic stop.

Another bit of info for you:
    http://carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php

This lets you know what states honor your LTCF that you are going to travel through.

Hope this helps you!

i assume that my saddle bags would be the same as a trunk/glove box, if i keep them in either side seperately?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey0086 View Post
    i assume that my saddle bags would be the same as a trunk/glove box, if i keep them in either side seperately?
    Yup! That's the way I'd intemperate it as well... but keep in mind IANAL and this advice is worth as much as you paid for it

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post

Seriously what GENIUS came up with that law?
    I am forever baffled about the intent of some of these laws.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Seriously what GENIUS came up with that law?
    I am forever baffled about the intent of some of these laws.
    SC only legalized the permit process and carrying of firearms in the last 6-7 years - prior to that carrying/transporting was illegal completely. That glovebox/console is a far cry better than most states - because you dont need a permit whatsoever for the glovebox/console. If you have a SC permit or one they recognize you dont need to put in the glovebox/console. Unlike PA and most others where you need a license just to have it in your vehicle whether it is loaded or not unless you are going to a range/hunt/gunsmith/etc.

The only fault with SC's law is OC is borderline illegal/legal, the off-limits places list is large, and their reciprocal standards are high.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey0086 View Post

Yes, bike/horse saddle bags are considered the same.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!