Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default With 1 months to go... SAFETY CHECK TIME!

Every year we read the stories of a moment of stupidity resulting in a lifetime of pain and suffering... lets try to prevent this from happening this year (and every year!)

Theres 1 month left before you lucky guys get to head out for the early Archery opener... now is the time to make sure all your gear is in good shape! Finding out the night before that it isn't won't keep you out the woods... it will keep you from being safe though!

- Dig out your safety harness / vest early and make sure its in good shape, find your tie in rope and retie the knot, if any fraying is evident get rid of it and get a new one! If it feels brittle or stiff trash it! Those things take a LOT of stress in a fall!

If you are still using an old harness that isn't a 5 point GET RID OF IT! There is no excuse, get a vest or get a 5 point harness, I've fallen twice and if they can support my 270 pound ass and keep me upright so I could get back in my stand then they are worth it!

- Go check those hang on stands that have been sitting in the garage, make sure they are structurally sound and that they aren't rusting through. stand on em a bit, make sure they aren't going to break at 25 feet. If you have a tree go mount them a few inches off the ground and make sure they are stable! Check your straps and make absolutely sure they are ready for another year... don't risk it, its not worth it!

Check your steps or ladders, make sure you know where they are and make sure they are ready for use, not much will ruin your hunt like a step breaking and removing your muscle. Don't risk it! WEAR YOUR HARNESS WHILE YOU ARE HANGING THEM!

- Ladder stands - make sure the top and the rungs are still secured well, make sure there is no rust and that any damage done last year to the blades is fixed. Check your straps and make sure they aren't fraying or brittle

- Climbers check your cables, make sure the welds on the floors are still good and solid, make sure any rust isn't going to cause issues and if needed remove and repaint now so the fumes are gone before the season starts

- Permanent stands, get out there and check them! AND TAKE YOUR HARNESS WITH YOU AND TIE INTO THE TREE WHEN YOU CLIMB UP! Make sure the local kids didn't try ripping it out of the tree, make sure there are no branches or tree tops around that are gonna fall on you, make sure the tree is still standing

A few minutes of preparation and work now will ensure a great hunting season for the next few months. There is no reason not to wear a harness, not wearing one is just tempting fate and asking for one false move to make you a statistic!

Now may be a good time to make sure your GPS is still working and to replot points if need be to go around new obstacles. Nothing worse then heading out at 4:30 AM on that opening morning only to take a 2 hour walk in circles because you didn't plan ahead or to not be able to cross a field due to a new fence and your whole hunt is ruined. Plotting a multi-point route is NOT A bad thing, actually it makes your walk much much easier as you can follow the GPS much more accurately instead of it just giving you a compass direction.

Also its time to start planning for your packs, 1 month will fly by and you don't want to be looking for that item at the last minute only to have to live without... make sure you are stocked on batteries, broken / used items from last year are replaced or made usable (saws, hatchets, knives, scent spray, first aid kits...), and everything still fits!

For you old fogeys don't forget your aspirin! It could save your life in the event of a heart attack and it weighs less then a piece of paper!
    Last edited by Dredly; August 15th, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: With 1 months to go... SAFETY CHECK TIME!

Great post! I agree completely.

Every time I buy a hang-on and they come with a full harness I save them to give away to folks still using belts. I am surprised how many still use those things. I use a HSS vest and love it.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Monroe County)

Default Re: With 1 months to go... SAFETY CHECK TIME!

Back to the top! Season starts in less then a month for some, 5 weeks for others! CHECK NOW!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.