Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical Full Size, Semi-automatic, .45 ACP

Now that I bought this:

643456m3_ts.jpg

What do I need to know as far as tricks, flaws, things to watch out for, cleaning hints, anything. I'm new to 45ACP so be gentle ha ha!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical Full Size, Semi-automatic, .45 ACP

Google "Idiot Scratch" before you take it apart.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Congratulations on the new pistol. There'll always be a soft spot in my heart for 1911's and I'm sure you will soon agree.

One thing you need to be conscious of is ensuring the grip safety is pressed when gripping and firing the gun. I had to install extended versions on my 1911s to do this effortlessly. Nothing worse than trying to pull the trigger and nothing happens.
    Last edited by bripro; April 1st, 2016 at 10:26 AM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Google "Idiot Scratch" before you take it apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

^^^THIS!^^^

That's about it. Everything else is pretty simple.

(Centre County)

"What do I need to know as far as tricks, flaws, things to watch out for, cleaning hints, anything. I'm new to 45ACP so be gentle ha ha! "

Nothing. Read the manual, then read the manual again. Then read the part about taking it apart. It should tell you how to strip it down to clean it. Strip it down, clean all the excess oil/preservation grease off it and go shoot it. The shoot it some more. Then strip it down and clean it. Since you are new to the 1911 you DO NOT need to detail strip it at this time, get used to it, read about it and then if you want to try your hand at taking it all apart and putting it back together, go for it (I would suggest having a good manual with lots of pictures that you can refer to if needed).

If you got one like you pictured, it already has a lot of the "bells and whistles" on it so shoot it a bit before you decide you MUST change something.

It might be your first, but like potato chips it probably won't be your last
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Yup, got that, use a business card or pull up and arc away from frame.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    "What do I need to know as far as tricks, flaws, things to watch out for, cleaning hints, anything. I'm new to 45ACP so be gentle ha ha! "

Nothing. Read the manual, then read the manual again. Then read the part about taking it apart. It should tell you how to strip it down to clean it. Strip it down, clean all the excess oil/preservation grease off it and go shoot it. The shoot it some more. Then strip it down and clean it. Since you are new to the 1911 you DO NOT need to detail strip it at this time, get used to it, read about it and then if you want to try your hand at taking it all apart and putting it back together, go for it (I would suggest having a good manual with lots of pictures that you can refer to if needed).

If you got one like you pictured, it already has a lot of the "bells and whistles" on it so shoot it a bit before you decide you MUST change something.

It might be your first, but like potato chips it probably won't be your last
    Unfortunately the manual stinks so I will have to look for you tube videos. Thanks for the tips, I'll try it before I modify it!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Unfortunately the manual stinks so I will have to look for you tube videos. Thanks for the tips, I'll try it before I modify it!
    The You Tube videos are good but get a 1911 manual to have on hand (you can read it at night). If you want probably the best, get Jerry Kuhnhausens The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual and you won't need anything else. You can get it at MidwayUSA, Brownells, probably Amazon and other places.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Well, i will have a look at that, thanks!

(Berks County)

Firm grip when shooting. No limp wrist shit.

It is a MAN'S gun, not some 9mm baby gun...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast