Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 suppressors

(Bucks County)

Default .45 suppressors

The wife just surprised me, apperently she wants to get me a new can for my birthday this year, and wants to buy it now so it's out of nfa jail hopefully around November.

I've been thinking about getting a 45 cal as a general do everything from .22lr to 44mag application, and leaning heavily toward the silencerco octane 45. Anybody have any other suggestions?

(Centre County)

Default Re: .45 suppressors

That's an awful large range for one suppressor. There really isn't a one size fits all suppressor although a suppressor for a larger caliber will work (to a degree) for a smaller caliber. You have several other things to consider if going with a .45 caliber suppressor; the adapters to get it to fit the different calibers and is it going on a rifle, pistol or both (suppressors are designed differently for pistols and rifles to take into effect the characteristics of the round(s) being fired and a pistol suppressor won't necessarily work as well on a rifle. You mentioned a .44 Mag, is it a rifle or handgun? I'm assuming a rifle because you can't really suppress a revolver (and the only 44mag pistol I can think of is the Auto-Mag).

My question is what are you actually going to mount it on? Knowing that we can suggest what might be they best route to go.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Armstrong County)

Octane 45 might be a bit heavy/large for a 22LR, good to go with 9mm, 40, 45, 357Sp/357mag, 44Spl and 300Blk subs, deff use caution on a full power 44mag (16" barrel or longer)

The Rugged Obsidian 45 is looking pretty awesome.

(Bucks County)

Have the Octane 45 and would highly recommend it. Although I went with a dedicated Mask22 for .22 because its much lighter and the round is so dirty. If getting the Octane 45 be sure to use the .45 endcap even for 9 mm - I had a endcap strike which they tell me is not that uncommon.

(Armstrong County)

If you want it to be a multi-caliber suppressor, why not give the new silencerco hybrids and griffin optimuses a look?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Have the Octane 45 and would highly recommend it. Although I went with a dedicated Mask22 for .22 because its much lighter and the round is so dirty. If getting the Octane 45 be sure to use the .45 endcap even for 9 mm - I had a endcap strike which they tell me is not that uncommon.
    Who told you it's not uncommon to have an endcap strike? Silencerco? I haven't heard this before, which is why I ask.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Who told you it's not uncommon to have an endcap strike? Silencerco? I haven't heard this before, which is why I ask.
    I agree. If the suppressor was constructed correctly and the barrel was threaded properly then even shooting 9mm with a .45 can with a 9mm end cap, you shouldn't have an end cap strike.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Strike while using the optional 9 mm end cap. Found it online when I had one and was confirmed by Silencerco who recommended to use the orginal 45 cap even when shooting 9. No issues since.

I think the issue is that with the smaller end cap even if it becomes ever so slightly loose it will strike. But that's just a guess on my part.
    Last edited by phillyd2; March 30th, 2016 at 04:37 PM.

(Monroe County)

For about five years I have enjoyed my Osprey 45, but when I decided to grab another 45 can I went with the Octane 45 HD; just picked it up last Saturday.

I went with the Octane since it comes apart, heavy duty and it takes the same pistons as the Osprey.

(Washington County)

My favorite 45 can is the Grenadier can from Freedom Armory.

http://www.famachineworks.com/products

Rated from .45ACP, 9mm, .40SW, .300 Whisper/Blackout (subsonic) & .458 SOCOM (subsonic). Full auto rated for .45ACP & 9mm. All components are Titanium except stainless Piston/spring and O-rings. Disassembles for easy cleaning.

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast