Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default Tioga LTCF turnaround time?

My son plans to stop by the sheriff office for his licence. How much of a wait time can be expect?
    MikeP

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Tioga LTCF turnaround time?

The sheriff no longer issues on the spot. When I did mine I got the letter on the same day mine expired. If you son doesn't have one yet I will not venture a guess as to how long it will take.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Tioga County)

It takes roughly 2 weeks now. The sheriff has become such an ass hat.

In a small county like Tioga you should be able to either get the sheriff to change his policy or get enough support to toss him next election.

A few op eds in the paper, and some rallies here and there at a minimum would get the word out and perhaps force a response.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Tioga County)

I would speculate based on what I know is part of the problem is a lack of budget and staff combined with a high volume of LTCF applications along with local law enforcement being very busy with our current drug epidemic and the associated issues such as domestic problems/crimes.

We had someone oppose sheriff tom last time around but he was from out of state and had no law enforcement experience. As I have stated before on this forum part of the problem with the sheriffs in PA is that they do not have full enforcement powers like other states. The PSP gets the glory so to speak of solving crimes and making arrests and the sheriffs get to take out the trash and deal with prisoners, picking up warrants and enforcing court orders. Sheriff Tom told me that deputies start at something like $11 or $13 a hour. The sheriff job itself I think is seen as kind of a dead end law enforcement job here in PA and it seems the people that run for sheriff have typically retired from something else and are doing this to keep working or stay involved in local politics. So I think part of it is finding a good candidate who wants the job.

With the recent ATF ruling in place starting in July that will take the NFA issue off the table(he wouldn't sign any NFA forms).

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I would speculate based on what I know is part of the problem is a lack of budget and staff combined with a high volume of LTCF applications along with local law enforcement being very busy with our current drug epidemic and the associated issues such as domestic problems/crimes.

We had someone oppose sheriff tom last time around but he was from out of state and had no law enforcement experience. As I have stated before on this forum part of the problem with the sheriffs in PA is that they do not have full enforcement powers like other states. The PSP gets the glory so to speak of solving crimes and making arrests and the sheriffs get to take out the trash and deal with prisoners, picking up warrants and enforcing court orders. Sheriff Tom told me that deputies start at something like $11 or $13 a hour. The sheriff job itself I think is seen as kind of a dead end law enforcement job here in PA and it seems the people that run for sheriff have typically retired from something else and are doing this to keep working or stay involved in local politics. So I think part of it is finding a good candidate who wants the job.

With the recent ATF ruling in place starting in July that will take the NFA issue off the table(he wouldn't sign any NFA forms).
    I get your point, but he still has to uphold the law, and other sheriffs have no problem doing it. Not referring to the two week wait, but mostly his refusal to issue non resident licenses.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I get your point, but he still has to uphold the law, and other sheriffs have no problem doing it. Not referring to the two week wait, but mostly his refusal to issue non resident licenses.
    And requiring references to be in the county.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Sheriff Tom told me that he stopped issuing non resident licences due to rude new yorkers and a huge influx of out of state gas yokels when the gas boom was going big. In his opinion he was elected to serve the residents of Tioga County and the non resident licences were such a huge volume and distraction he didn't want to deal with it due to his limited office staff. In some ways I do understand the logistical side. We are a small border county and tens of thousands of new yorkers obviously would like a non resident LTCF for all the benefits it provides. I think we've got 2 women working in a small office not only processing applications for LTCFs but all the rest of the paperwork for prisoners, court orders, etc. So to handle these long lines of new yorkers someone needs to commit pennsylvania taxpayer resources to deal with those logistics. New York doesn't do us any favors either.

I don't think he's changing his mind so until someone is willing to legally challenge him on the non resident issue and the references issue or simply find another candidate and vote him out, nothing will change. And the bigger solution is simply for PA to become a constitutional carry state.