Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Updated - Narrowed down some optic choices

Hello folks,

I've recently started shopping optics for a .308 rifle. Whenever I take the rifle hunting, I'll be hunting for white tail deer, and most likely no farther than 200 yards (at most). I don't really want to spend $1000 on this particular optic, but I'm not looking for the $100 Wal-Mart special either. I'm looking for a solid optic that's going to have me seeing clearly and comfortably up to (or slightly past) 200 yards at the most reasonable price possible.

All of you who hunt regularly, what are you using?

-----------------------------------Update-----------------------------------------------------------

So I've narrowed down my search to a few options that I could use some help deciding between. I have nothing against Leupold, I think the glass is probably excellent, but I just find the Leupolds in the price range/magnification range I'm looking at leaving a little (or a lot) to be desired aesthetically personally. The ones I really liked were into the $1500+ range and that's not happening right now.

So with that being said, I'm looking at:

Nikon Monarch 3, 4-16x42 ($406)
    Vortex Viper, 6.5-20x50 with BDC ret ($469)
    Nikon ProStaff 5, 4.5-18x40 ($399)

And the kick option:

Vortex Crossfire II, 6-24x50 ($299)
    Last edited by MagRelease; April 2nd, 2016 at 07:40 PM.

Default Re: Need Input on a Hunting Scope

For my .308s used for whitetail I usually stick to the 3-9 power range with at least a 40mm optic. I have a wide variety of brands but in recent years have limited my purchases to Leupold and Redfield. Redfield is owned by Leupold, is less expensive, but offers the same life time warranty.

(Berks County)

The Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 is a very, very good PA hunting scope in my opinion. Right in the middle of your price range. Many scopes work just as well during the day, but the VX3s have some sort of coating that keeps them super clear in low light, ie sunrise & sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    The Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 is a very, very good PA hunting scope in my opinion. Right in the middle of your price range. Many scopes work just as well during the day, but the VX3s have some sort of coating that keeps them super clear in low light, ie sunrise & sunset.
    These are good points. All scope manufacturers have cheap, mid, and upper price models. Scopes are one of the areas where you get what you pay for. The higher price models generally have better glass which equates to clearer sight picture and better light collection.

(Wayne County)

Cameraland NY has dealer samples of various scopes at really nice prices. He ships fast too. I snagged one of the open box Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 scopes for $330 a year ago. Looks like they are $369 now. Glass is fantastic (same as the super pricey Vipers), no illumination or fancy reticles but it is an awesome piece IMHO for the money. I have it on my SPR ar15 but I know it would make a fantastic PA hunting scope as well.

These demo samples are rarely mounted, mostly for display. Mine was brand new. FWIW Vortex is nice because even if you buy a demo/used scope they will back you up 100% no questions asked.

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-vortex.html

complete list

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...viperhs2-10x44

scope

ETA I noticed that Vortex has lowered the price, they used to run $450 or so now $399 new.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Viper-2.../dp/B00XD5BZAI
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; March 25th, 2016 at 06:23 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

All great suggestions so far, thanks all!

Anyone have any experience with Millet scopes?

I've also heard generally all good things about various Vortex optics that would be applicable here. I have a Vortex prism on an AR build that I love, but have zero experience with their other products.

(Lawrence County)

With antler restrictions in PA I no longer find the 3x9 to be good enough to 200 yards unless you have the money and time to buy a decent set of binos. You just can't spot the tines well enough in any sort of cover. The minimum I hunt with out to 200 yards these days is 4x16. On a budget the Primary Arms 4x16 is very good. Next up would be a Nikon Monarch and then into the Vortex HS and Sightron SIII offerings.

Lycanhasshotallofthosethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Wayne County)

MagRelease, you going to be doing alot of walking? Leupold scopes always come in lighter than the rest. As I get older I look to lighten my load and have been buy Leupolds. Leupold is closing out their vx3 line and going to the new vx3i line and you can find some great deals on the vx3s. 3x9, 3.5x10, 40 or 50 mm objective is ok. Have fun and kill a few.

(Huntingdon County)

Another vote for Redfield. I have a Revolution 3x9 40mm on my .270 and it works great. I have it for 4 years, I have no complaints thus far.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast