Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Need Input on a Hunting Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    With antler restrictions in PA I no longer find the 3x9 to be good enough to 200 yards unless you have the money and time to buy a decent set of binos. You just can't spot the tines well enough in any sort of cover. The minimum I hunt with out to 200 yards these days is 4x16. On a budget the Primary Arms 4x16 is very good. Next up would be a Nikon Monarch and then into the Vortex HS and Sightron SIII offerings.

Lycanhasshotallofthosethrope
    Where are you getting 200 yard shots in PA? This was an issue when I lived in Colorado, but in PA, all of my shots have been under 100 yards.

(Clarion County)

Can remember when 9 power was considered high magnification. Take into consideration where you'll be hunting and use. Is this a dedicated deer rifle or a one rifle for everything. Used one rifle for everything when I started out and decent magnification, lol 9x, was needed for ground hogs. If in the woods or in the thick stuff with chance at an occasional longer shot a lower power 2x7 or 1x4 may be the ticket. However if you're in a stand looking over several hundred yards you'll want a higher magnification. I've found lower end Leupolds or their generic brand Redfields are a pretty decent product for the money.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Where are you getting 200 yard shots in PA? This was an issue when I lived in Colorado, but in PA, all of my shots have been under 100 yards.
    Live near any fields? There are many 200 yard deer taken in my area.

(Somerset County)

For a hunting gun, I like the Bushnell Elite series with the Rainguard feature. I have 3 of the Elite 4200's in 3-9x40. That said, the last scope I purchased was for a Savage 99 in 358 Win, that one was a Leupold VX2 in 2-7. I couldn't justify the extra $100 for a VX3. I also like a straight 6X, I have had a Leupold M8 on my 270 since sometime around 1982 and never felt underpowered even when hunting groundhogs with it. My hunting is done in the farm country of NC Pa. Shots have been as close as 10 yds and my longest is 350.

Dale

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Western PA has a lot of stripped land and I've shot out to 700 yards on deer here. Hillside to hillside in the snow is possible in many parts of the state. I learned years ago that if you see more land, you see more deer.

This one was shot offhand on the run at 200 yards. The cell phone pic is crappy.

Deer2012.jpg

Six days later I gave my gun to a friend and shot this one at 550 yards.
    KDeer.jpg

A good gun makes it possible. This is a blueprinted Model 70 in 7mm STW with Obermeyer 5R barrel, McMillan A5 stock, Jewell trigger and Sightron SIII 8x32 MOA-2.
    IMG_09581_zps81f0cd75.jpg

Lycanparadigmshiftthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

See update

(Lawrence County)

From my experience with these, the Monarch has the best glass to my eyes with the Viper having the best adjustments and solid clicks if you're planning on shooting deeper.

Lycanhowfar?thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Somerset County)

I wouldn't select either of the 50 mm ones, IMO, that's like putting a hunk of sewer pipe on your rifle. Just too big and bulky, messes with the balance. Your choice between the other two, which looks better to YOUR eyes?

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    From my experience with these, the Monarch has the best glass to my eyes with the Viper having the best adjustments and solid clicks if you're planning on shooting deeper.

Lycanhowfar?thrope
    I figure when I'm hunting I will probably most of the time only be shooting up to 200 yards, but I guess ideally if there was a trophy sitting out there at 400 or 500 yards, I suppose I'd like to be able to reach out and take a chance at that too. I don't have real great eyes, so having a little extra magnification is fine with me.

I got to handle a few of these today - though not the Vortex Viper. I looked at a few Leupolds, Nikons, and Vortex. The Leupold definitely have nice eye relief, and I feel like they'd be excellent within 100-200 yards, but I could see myself have some real difficulty past that. I was most impressed with the Nikons. They had great eye relief, they were crystal clear, and on an 18x I felt like I could reach out and touch 200-400 no prob. The Vortex were nice and clear, but I was a little disappointed with the eye relief. It just felt like you had to have your eye in a perfect sweet spot with no forgiveness. Granted the glass looked great when you did, but I dunno.. I'd really like to see how the Vipers compare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast