Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: South Carolina

(Erie County)

Default South Carolina

Traveling to s.c. For 2 weeks. Is it legal to travel with loaded gun in console with pa. Permit?

Default Re: South Carolina

I'm driving through SC next week heading to FL...SC does not recognize PA LTCF. I haven't looked into it, but when I drive through SC, I will be unloading mags and locking up my pistol in SC.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, that is what I'm going to do.

(Jefferson County)

Loaded/unloaded in console or glovebox is legal in SC. The console/glovebox must have a latch though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Despite what some folks may believe, there are still quite a few people that carry handguns in their vehicles. The question of legality arises regardless of whether you have a concealed weapons permit ("CWP"). In this article, I’m going to break down Section 16-23-20 and discuss the permissible ways to carry in a vehicle. Obviously there are other exceptions that apply such as the law enforcement exception and the hunting exception. This article is written for the normal person inquiring about the legality of a handgun in a vehicle.

South Carolina Code Section 16-23-20
    says “It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:”

Subsection (9) provides the vehicle exception and allows a person to carry a handgun in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    What does this mean? It means that it is legal to carry a pistol as long as it is secured in a “closed glove compartment” or “closed console”. The handgun can be loaded or unloaded as long as it is secured in the glove compartment or console. You can also carry in another “closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.” But what does that sentence mean? Generally, this means if you have an SUV, you can store the gun in the back as long as it is in a suitcase, closable bag, etc. You can also have a handgun in the “closed trunk” of the car as well.
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Lancaster County)

I wouldn't chance it lock her up

(Pike County)

There is another thread available where the details are has ed out. I am on my phone or I would search for it. Loaded in your car consol / glove box is fine and if you purchase a hunting or fishing license you can CC to and from fishing.