Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Frustrating Holster Fit!!

Hoping someone could help me out before I pull my hair out. I ordered a Don Hume clip-on IWB holster for my pt145 from gunnersalley.com and last week it came in the mail. Beautiful leather, sturdy, so excited to use it. Oops, gun won't fit in it!! This is my first quality leather, so I guess my question is how tight should a new holster be? When I hold the gun up to the holster it looks like it should be a perfect fit, but no matter how much I try I can't get the gun all the way in!! Its to the point where I feel like forcing it in would be bad for the gun. Normal? Wrong fit? Give up? What do you guys say?

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Frustrating Holster Fit!!

I bought 2 Don Hume JIT slides for my PT745 (listed as PT145) and they were tight. All I did was wrap the gun in plastic wrap and stick it in the holster for a week or 2. Right now they are a perfect fit!

I think it has to to with the rounded trigger guard.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

A good leather holster should be tight when new, but it should still fit in.
    Are you saying you can't get the gun in at all or it's just a real tight squeeze?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Somerset County)

just like breaking in a new pair of boots

(Montgomery County)

I had a similar problem with a Hume holster. But remain calm, here's what to do:

Check and double-check that your gun is empty. Wrap it with a couple of layers of plastic wrap. Then rub water generously on the inside of the holster until the leather is uniformly darkened and damp. Insert the gun firmly into the holster. It may take a lot of force, but you should be able to do it. Then leave the whole thing to dry overnight. When it's dry, you'll have a perfect fit.

If you truly can't get the gun into the holster to do this, double-check the number on it with the folks at Hume to make sure they sent the right one. I was convinced that mine was wrong, and they offered to have me send it back so they could take a look at it, but the water trick fixed mine so it fit just fine.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the info fellas, I'm going to give the water/plastic wrap a try. I really hope it works, I love the looks and finish of the holster. Thanks again!

I always used a dress sock over the pistol and then shoved it into the holster. If that didn't work, I used a thicker sock.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    I had a similar problem with a Hume holster. But remain calm, here's what to do:

Check and double-check that your gun is empty. Wrap it with a couple of layers of plastic wrap. Then rub water generously on the inside of the holster until the leather is uniformly darkened and damp. Insert the gun firmly into the holster. It may take a lot of force, but you should be able to do it. Then leave the whole thing to dry overnight. When it's dry, you'll have a perfect fit.

If you truly can't get the gun into the holster to do this, double-check the number on it with the folks at Hume to make sure they sent the right one. I was convinced that mine was wrong, and they offered to have me send it back so they could take a look at it, but the water trick fixed mine so it fit just fine.
    YUP... ASIDE FROM THE PLASTIC WRAP, I FIT MY ARMY BOOTS EXACTLY THE SAME WAY... HOSED DOWN THE INSIDE OF EM, AND THEN WALKED A COUPLE MILES IN EM TIL THEY GOT KINDA HARD.... FIT LIKE A GLOVE NOW I'M ASSUMING ANY TYPE OF LEATHER WILL WORK THIS WAY.

(Berks County)

I've always used kiwi Shoe Stretch for new boots, gloves, etc. It softens the leather allowing it to stretch and form fit, and when it dries its a perfect fit every time.

http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Prod...roductCode=335
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Montgomery County)

I'd worry that anything but water might run the chance of having an adverse effect on gun finishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast