Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ruger P345

(Bucks County)

Default Ruger P345

Saw the thread on "Thinking of a .45" where member cz 40p mentioned the Ruger P345. I'm thinking of purchasing this pistol, $369, case, 2 mags... What do you members think about Ruger products? Any opinions would be welcomed. Thank you cz 40p for your previous review on the other thread...Mike45

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger P345

I haven't shot a Ruger in .45, but owned a P series in 9mm. Other factors aside, I found the DA trigger to be abominable....but maybe the 345 is different?

That said, they tend to be, if anything, over-engineered to the point of indestructability, and completely reliable. Trigger and ergonomics are, I guess, in the eye of the beholder.

(Luzerne County)

My thoughts exactly. You could probably use one as a hammer in a pinch. Their strange triggers never grew on me though.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    I haven't shot a Ruger in .45, but owned a P series in 9mm. Other factors aside, I found the DA trigger to be abominable....but maybe the 345 is different?

That said, they tend to be, if anything, over-engineered to the point of indestructability, and completely reliable. Trigger and ergonomics are, I guess, in the eye of the beholder.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Bucks County)

Thanks for your input on the P345, Going on what you guys say, I will hold off and do a little homework on this pistol. Thanks again...Mike45

(Centre County)

I have the Ruger KP90 (SS .45) and I happen to like it. The trigger on mine was pretty decent out of the box but I cleaned it up ma little and have no problems with it. And yes, Rugers are built like tanks, very rugged but not necessarily aesthetic (eye of the beholder). I will agree with dgg9 though, some people just don't like the size, shape, etc of the Rugers. I have fairly large hands the the P90 fits me very well and for me it is a natural pointer. That said, I am probably biased as the majority of my handguns are Rugers (I do own a Smith 5906, which I love, and a 422 for plinking along with several other brands I have collected over the years). I want to get another 45 and this one will probably be a "traditional" SA style. Just don't know what brand or how much I want to spend yet.

One suggestion is to go to a gunshop that has a good selection so that you can handle as many differnt makes as possible. If one doesn't feel good in your hand I wouldn't buy it as you would end up regretting the purchase and probably not shoot it and then may lose some money trying to get rid of it. Buy what feels good and if in the right area you may find a gun shop that has an attached range where they do rentals and then try several out if possible to see how they feel and shoot for you. Happy hunting.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    some people just don't like the size, shape, etc of the Rugers.
    ...although a few people do. Except for the trigger, which I could simply not adjust to, I didn't think the P95 I had was that bad, gripwise.

I agree with you -- only going to a range and trying it out will tell you what you need to know. Even if one isn't available to rent, just handling it at the store will tell much.

Here's my simple test for grip ergonomics, which you can do at the gun store with the unloaded gun. To shoot a DA/SA pistol well, you need to be able to hold the sight picture completely steady through the DA trigger pull. In some guns (for me, the 92FS, for example), the DA trigger pull is so lonnnggggg, that I am literally unable to get through the entire DA trigger pull without shifting my grip a little to compensate. In other guns (the P series), the DA pull is so resistive, that you have to muscle the trigger, with the same sight-picture-destabilization.

So, the simple test is to hold the (empty) pistol at arm's length and shoot it one-handed, in DA mode. If the ergonomics are good enough, you should be able to to pull all the way through the DA trigger pull without the sights shifting, even with no offhand support. If you are unable to do this, IMO this is the wrong DA/SA gun for you. I can pass this test easily with a CZ75BD; can not pass it with a 92FS.

And who knows, maybe Ruger improved the trigger by the time the 345 came out...
    Last edited by dgg9; February 16th, 2007 at 10:15 AM.