Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Smith 637

(Dauphin County)

Default Smith 637

Looking to pick up a Smith and Wesson 637 for daily carry/hiking. Anyone have one? I'd also use it for plinking too.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Smith 637

I had one but sold it to get a 642 without the lock.
    It was a solid, accurate snub. I would say buy one if you don't plan to pocket carry it. The hammer can get tangled on the draw. The 638 is also a good option if you want the ability to fire it single action.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I have a marked preference for the hammerless/shrouded hammer models for reasons express by 22 Rimfire.

(Elk County)

I have the 638 with the factory Crimson Trace grip. I like the option of single action. Some will say debris will work into the shroud. I have had no issues with that. The lock doesn't bother me. I never used it. Firing +P carry ammo isn't uncomfortable at all.

(Dauphin County)

I used to have one and sold it recently. It was a great gun but I like my Ruger LCP for pocket carry and that was the last Smith I owned that had a lock so now I am disease free. If I was to ever own one again, I would look for one without the stupid lock and most likely not pocket carry the gun. It is always cool to have the single and double action option, but I shoot ALL my revolvers double action anyway as I enjoy the feel and visualization of of all internal components working in harmony while firing the gun and resetting for the next shot through the trigger and as a result the hammer spur on the 637 serves no purpose for me. Still it is a solid gun the 2nd handgun I ever owned and was glad to have it for the time I did. I almost thought about grinding off the hammer spur and keeping it but then I thought NO better just to sell it.