Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Quick/easy to join clubs?

Hello Pennsylvania Firearms Owners,

I am a new member and a new resident of Pittsburgh. I was previously in Berks county for a couple of years, but am just getting back into the shooting sports. I have been looking around for an affordable and good club for pistol/rifle and archery, but have found the membership processes all seem to take a long time, and it could be a month or more from the time you pay to the time you can actually use the facilities.

Are there any clubs in the area that have open enrollment and a fast turn around time for new members? I was really hoping to be able to go shooting a week from today, but cannot find a range I can use that early for rifle. My friend has some friends at PMSC and says we should join, but the next meeting isn't until next month and I do not have a sponsor (he can be a little flaky in these areas). I looked into getting a pass for the state gaming commission ranges nearby, at least for the time being until I find a club I like, but the rules state there is a 3 round/rifle limit and 6 round/pistol limit that can be loaded at a time??

Any help finding a place that is not too restrictive and can actually be used on fairly short notice would be much appreciated. I really like the area so far, but I am originally from NV and really miss being able to drive an hour out of town and shoot to my heart's content for free on BLM land.

Thanks to all in advance for any advice.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Quick/easy to join clubs?

Welcome!

I was once in your position, except I came from that land that shall not be named further east. I knew no one, no sponsors, nothing.

PMSC ended up being the only choice I had, and a pretty darn decent one at that. Yeah, they say you need a sponsor, but if you show up at a meeting, pretty much anyone and everyone will sponsor you. That's what I did, and one of the board members very kindly signed mine. I'm sure you could also find someone here to do it. Heck, if you're not a nut, I wouldn't mind guesting you into the club.

PMSC also hosts a PAFOA group shoot 4 times a year, open to non PMSC members.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=299620

That's the one next month. There will be people, guns, and bacon

As far as the game lands range goes (I'm guessing you're talking about 203), yes there is a capacity limit. Note that the pistol limit is only if you're at the pistol range, otherwise, it's still 3. I'd consider getting a hunting license instead of the range use permit. It's cheaper, and it's nice to have the option to hunt, if you don't already. Also, watch your back. Not everyone is unsafe on the game lands range, but you do get a higher proportion of klutz's.

(Butler County)

You can do the gamelands or you can do the tango to join a club. Pretty much every club is going to make you have a sponsor--which is, to a real extent, the point.

You can join the clubs which actually emphasize shooting (I put PMSC, BVRPC in these categories) by making your way to a monthly meeting and meeting a few people.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'd start the process at PMSC if you are at all south/east and BVRPC if you are north/west. In the interim, you could use the gamelands or look into (spit) joining Iron City Armory's range (be forewarned that their owner is, at present, facing legal difficulties and has been overtly hostile to customers and potential customers on social media in the past).

(Allegheny County)

I think the Trafford sportsmens club has a pretty quick and straightforward membership process. I forget how much it costs, but I know it was less than some other places I've looked. They also have an indoor pistol range open to the public on certain days. I don't know how far you're willing to travel but I've also heard that the Beaver or Butler aportamens club is like $20. I'll try and find the thread that mentioned it and see what was said about it. Good luck finding a place. My wife and I still haven't settled on one. Maybe look for a thread for a range in Washington county on here as well. I know they were mentioning machine gun shoots and long distance rifle ranges if I recall

(Allegheny County)

Thank you all for the advice. It looks like I will just have to wait a bit longer to be able to actually shoot. I believe I'm not working the night of the next meeting for PMSC, so I'll fill out an application and try to meet somebody there. I'll tell my friend that wants to join too, and see if he is available and can get one or two of his buddies that are already members to sponsor us.

Thanks again to all! I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

(Washington County)

If you want to join Long Branch near Belle Vernon you show up at the meeting first Thursday of the month with $50 and you're in. 100 yard rifle range and indoor pistol range. Unlimited access. Never crowded.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mj246 View Post
    Hello Pennsylvania Firearms Owners,

I am a new member and a new resident of Pittsburgh. I was previously in Berks county for a couple of years, but am just getting back into the shooting sports. I have been looking around for an affordable and good club for pistol/rifle and archery, but have found the membership processes all seem to take a long time, and it could be a month or more from the time you pay to the time you can actually use the facilities.

Are there any clubs in the area that have open enrollment and a fast turn around time for new members? I was really hoping to be able to go shooting a week from today, but cannot find a range I can use that early for rifle. My friend has some friends at PMSC and says we should join, but the next meeting isn't until next month and I do not have a sponsor (he can be a little flaky in these areas). I looked into getting a pass for the state gaming commission ranges nearby, at least for the time being until I find a club I like, but the rules state there is a 3 round/rifle limit and 6 round/pistol limit that can be loaded at a time??

Any help finding a place that is not too restrictive and can actually be used on fairly short notice would be much appreciated. I really like the area so far, but I am originally from NV and really miss being able to drive an hour out of town and shoot to my heart's content for free on BLM land.

Thanks to all in advance for any advice.
    If you know someone who can sponsor you they do not have to be present they just have to sign the form. I asked this question explicitly of membership as I was not sure I could make a meeting for a someone to join due to my work schedule. Also I know people before have just sown up to the meeting and got someone to sponsor them. No guarantees though. Most clubs have a application process that is connected with monthly meetings.

A SGL range you could go online and have a pass in minutes. Its better than nothing. But I will not shoot there anymore due to safety concerns.

PMSC is worth the wait. It may take two meetings to get a full membership. But they are the least restrictive about how and what you can shoot. Want to draw from holster, shoot 180°, no mag limits, private bays, rifle out to 300 yards, trap & skeet fields, indoor plus indoor and outdoor archery nothing beats PMSC.

The SGL is not that expensive, maybe its worth it to get that now and join a club later. Yes the 3/6 are the rules, and yes people have gotten hefty fines for breaking them.
    Last edited by QuackXP; June 27th, 2016 at 12:08 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion