Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Took a New Jersey friend to my gun club range

My friend was born and raised in Philly. In about 1960, his to-be wife bought a semi-auto Glenfield 75 for him for his birthday...from E J Korvettes for any here who might know of that long-gone "discount store".

He built a home in Tabernacle in 1976 and has lived in the area ever since. He still has the rifle. It's from the days of no serial numbers, so I believe the rifle Is grandfathered regarding that configuration of rifle otherwise now illegal in PRNJ, on the list of assault rifles. Yeah. Just plain asinine.

Friends since the early 60s, and knowing he has had zero experiences with firearms since then and just a half-box of .22s with that rifle when he first got it, I invited him to remedy that situation. I had picked up a Glenfield .22 scope at a gun show since the scope for the 75 had disappeared somehow over the years.

With the replacement scope mounted and zeroed , he had fun shooting his prized rifle once again. Then I had him shoot my AKM and he did well and really enjoyed it.

Today his wife called my wife while I was out, telling her how much he had enjoyed our afternoon on the range. I am so glad we were able to do this.

If you have a friend with little or no opportunity to shoot, consider brightening their day at the range.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Took a New Jersey friend to my gun club range

Well done, sir.

My wife and I are going to Phoenixville to the local SGL to shoot next weekend with another couple. I've known them for 5 years and just found out he and his son are into milsurp and older rifles. He shoots often, but we've never gone together.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    My friend was born and raised in Philly. In about 1960, his to-be wife bought a semi-auto Glenfield 75 for him for his birthday...from E J Korvettes for any here who might know of that long-gone "discount store".

He built a home in Tabernacle in 1976 and has lived in the area ever since. He still has the rifle. It's from the days of no serial numbers, so I believe the rifle Is grandfathered regarding that configuration of rifle otherwise now illegal in PRNJ, on the list of assault rifles. Yeah. Just plain asinine.

Friends since the early 60s, and knowing he has had zero experiences with firearms since then and just a half-box of .22s with that rifle when he first got it, I invited him to remedy that situation. I had picked up a Glenfield .22 scope at a gun show since the scope for the 75 had disappeared somehow over the years.

With the replacement scope mounted and zeroed , he had fun shooting his prized rifle once again. Then I had him shoot my AKM and he did well and really enjoyed it.

Today his wife called my wife while I was out, telling her how much he had enjoyed our afternoon on the range. I am so glad we were able to do this.

If you have a friend with little or no opportunity to shoot, consider brightening their day at the range.
    Not being familiar with every firearm in the world (but being from NJ), what about that gun made it considered an AW in NJ? NJ did not grandfather any guns when the AWB passed. You had to register your gun, which I believe very few people did.

I always look for opportunities to invite people to shoot. It's the best way to get more pro gun people, and as far as gun owners go, the more the merrier.

(Chester County)

My friend was born and raised in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    Well done, sir.

My wife and I are going to Phoenixville to the local SGL to shoot next weekend with another couple. I've known them for 5 years and just found out he and his son are into milsurp and older rifles. He shoots often, but we've never gone together.
    We're really proud of each of you. While personal range time is good, shooting with friends is better. Thanks to both of you that you took the time to make a difference in someone's life.
    - bamboomaster

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Not being familiar with every firearm in the world (but being from NJ), what about that gun made it considered an AW in NJ? NJ did not grandfather any guns when the AWB passed. You had to register your gun, which I believe very few people did.

I always look for opportunities to invite people to shoot. It's the best way to get more pro gun people, and as far as gun owners go, the more the merrier.
    IIRC, very few people did because very few people were permitted to register. I think you had to have a specific weapon that you used to compete in DCM. BTW, they made those couple hundred registered guns illegal a couple years ago and never told anybody. Pound Me In The Ass Prison (PMITAP).

OP, glad you had fun, but don't lure Jersey people here. Most, even "gun guys," will only do us harm. They love guns and hate Jersey gun laws. Until you get into the details, that is. And they have plenty of other plans that have to do with our laws and are not gun related. Coming from a guy that lived in Jersey for decades and now lives in PA. We are a scourge. Like locusts. Say no to Jersey.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post

It's a semi auto tube fed that holds more then 15 rounds.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    If you're talking about SGL 43, then get there early before the knuckleheads show up. Wait... you're not a knucklehead,are you?

(Bucks County)

I could get only nine .22 LR into the tube. One could jack one into the chamber and replace it and arrive at 10. Shorts may exceed 15.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    If you're talking about SGL 43, then get there early before the knuckleheads show up. Wait... you're not a knucklehead,are you?
    I am planning an early start. I'd rather go weekdays, but not everyone can. And as far as being a knucklehead, hmmm. I hope not.

I could get only nine .22 LR into the tube. One could jack one into the chamber and replace it and arrive at 10. Shorts may exceed 15.
    Up until the early 80's the Glenfields had up to a 18 round capacity then it was changed over to a 15 sometime in the mid to late 80's. I have a really old bead up sears version that I purchased for $35.00 as a gun smith special when I still lived in NJ it was marked as 10 or 12 rounds however when I disassembled it I found a shaved down wooden dowel in the tube being used as an "illegal" limiter.

The Model 60 is 22lr only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast