Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
If the object of the exercise was to condition students to drop their handguns if / when told to by police, then that is a rather ridiculous premise. My initial take was that it was to condition students not to be concerned about maintaining a nice finish on their fighting handgun / gear and in that I would agree except to say a strong verbal emphasis not to worry about getting your handgun (or other gear) scratched should suffice.

In fact I once had a student who didn't want to drop their brand new magazines onto the deck so I had to place a piece of cardboard in front of him so his mags wouldn't hit the ground. Student was new to training as was his pistol and actually I don't think it's unusual to have an initial inhibition about roughing up your gear until you get the mindset issue ingrained. Something collectible? Yes. Obsessing over a weapon to be used for self defense? No.

In the days of sword fighting would you be apprehensive about engaging a threat because your blade might get scratched or dulled?
As per Yeager's own words in his video he gave 2 reasons for dropping the guns during training. His first, which I found totally absurd was to show the student that they will not simply just switch hands if shot in the strong hand. He claimed that the gun will be dropped......well no shit. Dropping a gun after you are shot in your gun hand is something that I am convinced will occur without training start at 9:00 minute mark :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9LvWtnIZpw

His 2nd reason was being obedient (to the letter) to exactly what the police are instructing. Now I probably don't have to tell anyone that has spent a good time analyzing police videos that it is not unheard of for one or more officers that are pumped full of adrenaline to give conflicting commands. From my experience and in hindsight that's really a training issue that should be addressed by the Police if it hasn't already. Training that I attended teach all the important phrases and the importance of issuing commands, but in reflection attention to what you are ordering isn't really empathized.

If you are being confronted by a police officer that is yelling at you to "drop the gun, get on your knees, put the gun down on & on & etc." you are stressed, he/she is stressed, I still submit that very slow & deliberate actions are best, but it's still a judgment call that you the gun user has to make. In an ideal situation the threat to you has been neutralized and you were able to place the gun in a holster or other safe place before the police arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
You are correct. Consider this, sensitive primers do happen. They have been known to go off in the box when dropped. Its part of the reasons why you never point a loaded gun at anything you don't want to destroy. People don't talk about it much. Maybe we should.
I agree & I hope others chime in to share their opinions.