Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default EMP post got me thinking !

i know this isnt a dedicated ''survivalist'' forum but im sure you guys have your shit together ................. with the up comming elections my focus has been on semi-autos ( ak-ar-FAL types) but after a possible EMP attack your gonna need alot of ''other'' stuff so my question to you is when is it time to put the gun buyin thing to rest an focus on the other stuff i.e ...generators , water purifiers , pumps , camping gear , solar ovens/water heaters etc etc ?????............ my thoughts are 1 more high cap semi-auto then its full out survival gear buying spreee ( with a new gun here an there lol ) !!!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: EMP post got me thinking !

im not one of those ''dooms day sayers'' but id hate to be caught with my pants down if the SHTF !

(Berks County)

Weapons and ammunition procurement are simply one part of an overall readiness plan. Personally I try to purchase something related to ensuring the survival of myself and my family in an emergency situation about every other week. It may be something as simple as a new flashlight, a knife, or some freeze dried food, but I am not yet completely satisfied that I have everything I need to ensure survival. Having said that I have much more on hand than the vast majority of people I know.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Delaware County)

Check out the Survival Blog By James Wesley Rawles. Some decent info there. Scroll down and on the right hand side below the advertisements, there is a search box, as well as archives, etc.

EMP is one thing, but as a couple of friends (also former Marines) have pointed out, there are other threats which are more plausible. PM me and I will share some of them...
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Centre County)

Um. This is PAFOA. So to answer your question, it's NEVER time to stop buying guns.

Aside from my normal "situation" prep....back up iron sights for when the aimpoint goes tits up. If the rest of your gear is all electronic, it'll be dead anyway. Best get stuff that doesn't depend on electronics or electricity (i.e. compass and a map as opposed to a hand held GPS).

Actually I already own all the guns I NEED. the rest are "wants" and spend most of their time collecting dust in the safe. Maybe that's when it's time to prioritize to other supplies.

Magazines. LOTS of magazines. (hustler, penthouse, etc...for when the internet goes down).

Cheers!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post

EMP is one thing, but as a couple of friends (also former Marines) have pointed out, there are other threats which are more plausible. PM me and I will share some of them...
    why go on the down low?
    why not just share them in the open?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    Um. This is PAFOA. So to answer your question, it's NEVER time to stop buying guns.

Aside from my normal "situation" prep....back up iron sights for when the aimpoint goes tits up. If the rest of your gear is all electronic, it'll be dead anyway. Best get stuff that doesn't depend on electronics or electricity (i.e. compass and a map as opposed to a hand held GPS).

Actually I already own all the guns I NEED. the rest are "wants" and spend most of their time collecting dust in the safe. Maybe that's when it's time to prioritize to other supplies.

Magazines. LOTS of magazines. (hustler, penthouse, etc...for when the internet goes down).

Cheers!

+1 on everything. Especially the Hustler. You don't want to depend on playboy in an emergency. You'll know how to make a good martini, but in a crisis you really need good girl on girl action.

www.zombiehunters.org

Lots of good SHTF/TEOTWAWKI info.

(Allegheny County)

imho, it is time to stop buying guns for TEOTWAWKI after you have two copies of your favorite "assault weapon" in 5.56 (as that will be the rifle ammo you can scrounge most readily after TEOTWAWKI), and two copies of your favorite handgun in 9mm (as that will be the pistol ammo you can most readily scrounge after TWEOTWAWKI).

i'd say keep a minimum of 1,000 rounds of each caliber on hand.

of course, if you have to bug out on foot, you aren't going to be carrying all that with you anyway. (in that case, strip the essential breakable parts out of the second copies of each gun and bring those along...and conserve ammo.)

a .22 rifle (or two copies) with a few thousand rounds of ammo would be good, also, though.

now, that isn't to say you should stop buying guns and ammo...just that, from a realistic standpoint, specifically for TEOTWAWKI, that is all you need as far as guns and ammo go, imho...unless you have other people you are a planning to arm.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    why go on the down low?
    why not just share them in the open?

to try to keep the PAFOA about firearms ownership issues, and not a survival type board.

sample of one item:

A "suitcase" nuclear devices are not small enough to fit in a suitcase, they are quite a bit larger. There is no interdiction of smaller boats returning to port from a day of fishing. many of these smaller boats can be launched from a larger vessel in the shipping lanes. This scenario is more likely than getting a device with a large enough yeild to an altitude mentioned in the EMP article.

See this book written several years ago by Major Frank Stolz, yet very relevant today. http://www.wmdterror.com/wmd_book.html

I am willing to discuss others off-line / via pm.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast