Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Firearms training for ltcf

Okay guys, I kinda think I’m gonna get blasted for this question but….

Does anyone think mandatory handgun training should be required before someone can get their LTCF?

I am on the fence. Reason is that I have had training and I do shoot a lot---I‘m sure I could be better though. But, I’m wondering if it would be wise to require applicants to complete a simple proficiency test as well as receive an overview of the carry laws. I mean people need to take a drivers license test before they can drive a car.

I’m not sure a State run qualification would be a good idea though but, I also think training is a good idea---especially if you ever need to shoot at someone. I’d like to know that the good guy shooting at the bad guy can at least hit the side of a barn and not hit a bystander. I’d also like to know that a person carrying a gun at least has the simple basics of safe firearms handling.

I’m really on the fence though because I don’t like the idea of giving the state more power to refuse ltcf but I’m sure not all ltcf holders / applicants are as trained as they could / should be.

Is anyone aware of any ltcf holders that have accidentally shot an innocent bystander?

We all have heard of incidents where police shoot 60 rounds and never hit anyone or they hit a bystander----so, we all know that training might not be the answer either.

I know I take classes because I like shooting, but I also take courses because god forbid I’m ever involved in a shooting, I can prove / document that I have had proper training---kinda a cya deal.

Don’t flame me, I’m just looking to pick your brains a bit.

Thanks

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Firearms training for ltcf

Advisable? Certainly

Required? Absolutely not
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

I have no problems with this "requirement". I've seen some downright dangerous things on pistol ranges. The thought of some of these people being able to carry concealed is frightening.

I would even passing the NRA Basic Pistol as being necessary to get a LTCF.

We wouldn't let an incompetent person drive a car, why let one carry a gun? That's my opinion. Blast away...
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I have no problems with this "requirement". I've seen some downright dangerous things on pistol ranges. The thought of some of these people being able to carry concealed is frightening.

I would even passing the NRA Basic Pistol as being necessary to get a LTCF.

We wouldn't let an incompetent person drive a car, why let one carry a gun? That's my opinion. Blast away...
    Driving a car is not a constitutionally guaranteed right.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Advisable? Certainly

Required? Absolutely not
    Do you know if other states require some type of qualification? If they do, do you know what they require to "pass".

Thanks

(Monroe County)

I think the idea of requiring training seems like a good idea to most folks, until you realize what it actually means.

Requiring training for a constitutional right? Will we need literacy tests to vote again, or perhaps a license to worship in church?

I am not a fan of the concept of a LTCF(Ithink the 2nd amendment should be license enough), but have to operate under the laws on the books.

(Beaver County)

Advisable? Certainly

Required? Absolutely not
    I agree with you on this, but I gotta play Devil's Advocate a little bit.

Driving a car is not a constitutionally guaranteed right.
    Most people, if not all, agree that by requiring a license at all for CC, it is no longer a right, but a privilege. By that logic, what is the harm in a training requirement?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    I think the idea of requiring training seems like a good idea to most folks, until you realize what it actually means.

Requiring training for a constitutional right? Will we need literacy tests to vote again, or perhaps a license to worship in church?

I am not a fan of the concept of a LTCF(Ithink the 2nd amendment should be license enough), but have to operate under the laws on the books.
    Very good point.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Do you know if other states require some type of qualification? If they do, do you know what they require to "pass".

Thanks
    Yes, some states do have a training requirement. These requirements vary by state. Some will accept hunter education or NRA classes. Some, such as Utah require that the training be administered by a Utah certified instructor. SOme require live fire as part of the training, some don't.

(Allegheny County)

Requiring training to exercise a right is a no-no. Like posted before, it's like voting tests.

I have no problem with them giving advice when you get a ltcf to perhaps take a training course, but they don't even do that now. Especially the counties that take 3 weeks to get back to you (my Pgh LTCF took 20 days) have a good time frame to recommend training.

The biggest problem though becomes the cost of it. Training, if it's to be effective, is not cheap. Yes, it may be a small portion of the total cost of a gun and cheaper than some boxes of ammunition, but it still costs money to exercise a right. More money than it already takes to get a ltcf.

Make the course free and recommended, and I guarantee you see an increase in people attending the training courses.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast