Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: M1A Ammo

(Tioga County)

Default M1A Ammo

I'm ordering a Springfield Armory Standard M1A. Suggestions for Target ammo? Needless to say that as of today you can't hunt with it in PA.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Chester County)

Default Re: M1A Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I'm ordering a Springfield Armory Standard M1A. Suggestions for Target ammo? Needless to say that as of today you can't hunt with it in PA.
    You've got an unlimited choice here: http://www.ammoman.com/308-762x51?limit=all

Free shipping too.
    - bamboomaster

Range ammo at .44 per round.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-wi...dian-ammo-sale

Military surplus .52 per round.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-win-762x51-ammo/240-round-pack-762x51-nato-147-grain-fmj-hirtenberger-surplus-ammo-1970s
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 26th, 2016 at 10:20 AM.

(Berks County)

(Bucks County)

You can hunt with it in Pa.
    You need only deactivate the gas system, rendering it a "manually operated action" as defined by statute.

That's opinion on my part-
    Be prepared to be cited by the fish & rabbit police when the nearby fudds make that mwag call.

I have hunted 2 years running in very public areas with an fal (with 20 round mag on board!).
    Apart from harsh glares from the fudds, nothing but crickets , yet.
    I'm still waiting for my summons....
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    You can hunt with it in Pa.
    You need only deactivate the gas system, rendering it a "manually operated action" as defined by statute.

That's opinion on my part-
    Be prepared to be cited by the fish & rabbit police when the nearby fudds make that mwag call.

I have hunted 2 years running in very public areas with an fal (with 20 round mag on board!).
    Apart from harsh glares from the fudds, nothing but crickets , yet.
    I'm still waiting for my summons....
    This is so wrong^^^^^ I have hunted cycotes and whitetails with my AR 15 with the gas tube removed and the gas block turned 180* to seal off the gas port. It's a 300blk that is also a registered SBR and a suppressor. Got more hassle over the suppressor than the rifle.

(Allegheny County)

all ammo questions and answers conncerning the M1A/M14 can be found here:

http://m14forum.com/ammunition/

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by allen16323 View Post
    This is so wrong^^^^^ I have hunted cycotes and whitetails with my AR 15 with the gas tube removed and the gas block turned 180* to seal off the gas port. It's a 300blk that is also a registered SBR and a suppressor. Got more hassle over the suppressor than the rifle.
    I would love to hear about your exploits encountering officers from the game commission on that subject.
    I should not have hijacked the op's ammo question- op; I use Federal XM80 as the standard test fire ammo in the gunsmith shop. It is very good quality, American made ammo.
    For accuracy, Federal offers 2 gold standard loads. One is Fed. 308m with a 168gr Sierra Match King bullet, the other is loaded with a slightly heavier Match King bullet.

You will not get the accuracy both of the match loadings are capable of in a standard M1A. To approach the level of accuracy the match ammo can provide (in the 1/4 minute range) would require a very well accurized M1A. There is some Hirtenberger surplus ammo being sold (see post #3) that is top drawer military ammo. Buy it while you can.

If you value your rifle, do not shoot any steel case ammo from Tula, Wolf or anywhere else in eastern Europe. The cheap eastern European ammo in .308 caliber has a nasty reputation for destroying fal's- Don't risk your high dollar rifle with cheap shit ammo.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Perry County)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A308ZQI

Keep an eye out for sales on this, they happen frequently.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato