Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Driving from Philly to Orlando

So my girlfriends grandmother gifted us her timeshare she has In Orlando Florida.. I work for the airlines and flying there wouldn't cost me a dime but I want to drive (I love to drive) and make a mini road trip of it. It's my girlfriends birthday the week we are staying so I figure I plan some stuff out along the way

Now.. I'm currently LTCF in th state of PA., and I'll be starting the process of getting the non-resident Utah LTCF sometime in a couple weeks and that should pretty much cover the states on the east coast that pretty much give a damn about the 2nd amendment

The trip is the first week of Aug and the states that concern me:

Virginia- I think even though I'm LTCF I can't conceal but open carry?
    Maryland
    DC Area
    South Carolina

How should I go about traveling through these states on to my final destination in which both of my carry permits are honored?... Lock the gun up in a locked case with the ammo in the glove?
    Last edited by Muscle Master; February 23rd, 2016 at 08:04 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Driving from Philly to Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    So my girlfriends grandmother gifted us her timeshare she has In Orlando Florida.. I work for the airlines and flying there wouldn't cost me a dime but I want to drive (I love to drive) and make a mini road trip of it. It's my girlfriends birthday the week we are staying so I figure I plan some stuff out along the way

Now.. I'm currently LTCF in th state of PA., and I'll be starting the process of getting the non-resident Utah LTCF sometime in a couple weeks and that should pretty much cover the states on the east coast that pretty much give a damn about the 2nd amendment

The trip is the first week of Aug and the states that concern me:

Virginia- I think even though I'm LTCF I can't conceal but open carry?
    Maryland
    DC Area
    South Carolina

How should I go about traveling through these states on to my final destination in which both of my carry permits are honored?... Lock the gun up in a locked case with the ammo in the glove?
    You can almost entirely avoid MD (about 15 minutes), and completely avoid DC, by starting southbound on I-81. I, personally, wouldn't let my tires stop turning in either one. As for SC, you can keep it loaded in the unlocked glove box. I will leave it to you to research the details.

IANAL

(Lehigh County)

From central PA I would do I-81 to I-77 to I-95 which minimizes MD, skips DC (as Sgt K notes) and generally is a much better drive than I-95 in the Baltimore/DC/Richmond corridor. Depending on what kind of "stuff" you want to do there are lots of options also.

Bummer is that it does not work well from Philly because I-81 is a trip out the PA turnpike., but might be worth considering. There is also generally nice/cooler weather in the TN/NC mountains and Shenandoah valley which this route traverses. I have a good bit of experience on this route over several years supporting hikers on sections of the Appalachian Trail all they way down to GA.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

PS: I could also suggest sneaking South on DE-1 and US-13 thru the Delmarva peninsula as an alternate way to minimize MD exposure. Consider it plan 'B'. I am not sure what the permit rules in DE are. Need to check handgunlaw web site.
    Last edited by gghbi; February 23rd, 2016 at 10:16 PM.

(Bucks County)

Just fly. Its a horrible boring drive.

(Northampton County)

A few years ago my uncle drove his family from Maine to Orlando in one shot without stopping for the night. Guy is nuts.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Go WAY West. Leave PA through West Virginia, pass SC and go to FL.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    A few years ago my uncle drove his family from Maine to Orlando in one shot without stopping for the night. Guy is nuts.
    Was he wearing a diaper?
    Last edited by Krichardson; February 24th, 2016 at 08:40 AM.

(Bucks County)

from philly I would suggest you take I95 south and just before the DE toll take 896S which turns into 301. 301 bypasses Baltimore and DC and you can take it to Richmond, VA where you can pickup 95. Secure the gun unloaded while in MD but you're good to go carrying concealed in VA since VA back tracked on the CC issue. 301 through MD is pretty rural but once you get close to Bay Bridge it returns to civilization. You'll hit traffic in Waldorf and La Plata but nothing compared to traffic going through the Beltway. I95 south of DC can be heavily congested as far south as Fredricksburg, VA all the more reason to take 301.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Just fly. Its a horrible boring drive.
    This, especially if you can fly free. Maximize your time in Orlando, there's more to see and do there than you'll get to in a week, anyway. Why spend half your trip in a car, and all that money? It'd be different is the whole point of the trip was to take back roads and see what you can see, stopping places along the way. But driving interstates just to get there is boring.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Wow... it's crazy enough to make it from Maine to Philly in one day...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast