Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Unhappy I guess I'm screwed: UPDATE

I just read that being dishonerably discharged from armed services is an automatic disqualification for purchasing a firearm. I was dishonerably discharged about 20 years ago so this has all been for nothing.
    Last edited by Pennywise; September 9th, 2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: updated

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: I guess I'm screwed

What a crock of shit.

(York County)

So, all what has been for nothing?
    DD's are pretty serious and the military doesn't hand them out arbitrarily.
    However, some (relatively) minor drug infractions could result in a DD...just like in Texas where a joint could get you 20 years in the state pen.

You might want to contact a lawyer if it was a drug infraction (using, not selling). Anything more serious..well, you had to have done something pretty bad to rate a DD. Now you pay the price.

(Lawrence County)

Post Re: I guess I'm screwed

You might want to try to get it upgraded. Go to your county court house and talk to the people in the VA dept. I do not know if they upgrade dishonorables or not, but it is worth a try.

(Lawrence County)

agreed with Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    So, all what has been for nothing?
    DD's are pretty serious and the military doesn't hand them out arbitrarily.
    However, some (relatively) minor drug infractions could result in a DD...just like in Texas where a joint could get you 20 years in the state pen.

You might want to contact a lawyer if it was a drug infraction (using, not selling). Anything more serious..well, you had to have done something pretty bad to rate a DD. Now you pay the price.
    I was discharged for a "personality disorder" is what they called it. Taking a few too many of my pain meds is what I actually did.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbySomers View Post
    I just read that being dishonerably discharged from armed services is an automatic disqualification for purchasing a firearm. I was dishonerably discharged about 20 years ago so this has all been for nothing.
    what is "all this"

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    what is "all this"
    Reasearching gun laws, Reasearching types of guns and calibers that are best for home defence, Setting up a time and place with someone from this board to go with me for my first time at an actual range, Making an apointment for a firearms training class. ETC.
    The one bright spot, And it's a huge bright spot is I've learned a ton of stuff pertaining to my rights that I never really thought about before so that is a big plus.

Pennywise The Clown

Quote Originally Posted by BobbySomers View Post
    Reasearching gun laws, Reasearching types of guns and calibers that are best for home defence, Setting up a time and place with someone from this board to go with me for my first time at an actual range, Making an apointment for a firearms training class. ETC.
    The one bright spot, And it's a huge bright spot is I've learned a ton of stuff pertaining to my rights that I never really thought about before so that is a big plus.

Even if you can't get your DD fixed. You have at least learned about how you can stand up for your rights, ALL of them.

(Venango County)

I am not sure of your situation but I have heard of others with less than honorable discharges.

I was suprised to find that most dishonorable discharges are upgraded to less than honorable discharges after a period of time. But some are just dishonorable discharges period. Usually requires something quite serious or a pet peeve that the services are currently working on. You may wish to investigate to see if yours upgraded to less than honorable after 6mos. or a year etc. or see if you can get it upgraded (probably would have to show unusually harsh punishment or something similar to being railroaded etc.).

IANAL and am not sure, but if it were me or a friend of mine, this is what I would suggest looking into. (Where you start, I do not know. With your service or congressman? They might point you in the right direction.)
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast