Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Angry CZ 75 SP-01 Hates Flat Points?

At the range the other night, I brought along 300 rounds of 124gr RN and 300 rounds of 124gr FP. I also brought my FNH FNS-9 Long slide and my CZ 75 SP-01. Both guns are internally stock. Both guns chewed up the RNs without a hitch. However, when it came time to plug away with the FPs, the SP-01 just would not feed them reliably. FNS acted no differently. The SP-01 actually at one point flipped a round upside down, tried feeding the next one too. Looked like a stove pipe at first glance but after closer examination showed that weird combo. "Stove piped" bullet was pointed directly down towards the magazine, "double fed" bullet was halfway up the feed ramp.

All ammo was reloaded by me.

Link for the FPs used --> http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-124...24fp-b0500.htm

Thoughts? Anyone experience similar?
    Last edited by ianb1116; February 22nd, 2016 at 05:31 PM.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: CZ 75 SP-01 Hates Flat Points?

CZ's generally have short throats, meaning the rifling starts pretty close to the chamber. This means they can be sensitive to the shape of the bullet. Round noses are usually fine, but with hollow point or flat point bullets, you will have to do a "plunk" test with a case and bullet (no powder or primer) to make sure it fits the chamber without engaging the rifling.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Over the years I've seen a few compact and mid size pistols with steep feed ramps that have a hard time feeding hollow points or FP's with straight sides and flat noses. Most recently a Glock 26 was one of the offenders. The solution is usually the Remington hollow points in a green box with the rounded nose like the FMJ's: those remingtons can get up the ramp and in to the chamber without any backflips or other funky gymnastics!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Monroe County)

I just shot a 100 test loads with 147gr Acme flat points (loaded to 1.135) in my SP01 without a hitch. I've also used 147gr from SNS Casting without a hitch.

The Extremes you loaded look pretty blunt, perhaps that is the difference? Remember the CZ was designed in the seventies as a service pistol utilizing ball ammo.

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear what you figure out.

(Washington County)

Flat points require that they be seated to a shorter OAL than FMJs. The reason is that the FP not having a point the length to the shoulder is actually less.

(Lawrence County)

Load a dummy round LONG. Slowly feed it from the magazine while easing the slide down. If it stalls on the ramp, seat it slightly deeper until it feeds. Adjust your loads with respect to the pressures incurred by the non standard seating depth.

Mine actually likes the flat points longer. Sometimes it has to do with the angle of the feed lips. My STI in .40 will feed empties from the mag, but is smoothest on the ramp at lengths that are close to factory 10mm.

Lycanlistentothegunthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

The SP-01 I used to have (and regret selling) had a bit of an FTF with Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. Nothing major, though-- a little tug back on the slide was all it took to remedy it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    Flat points require that they be seated to a shorter OAL than FMJs. The reason is that the FP not having a point the length to the shoulder is actually less.
    I have found this as my solution as well, seating a little shorter cured the problems that you were having, different pistols but same problem.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Chester County)

I went back and checked my loading notes. Looks like they were all loaded a little long, about 1.145". They shoot fine and were great in the accuracy department. I guess those Browning type barrels might be a bit tighter than the Glockish-type.

The P-09 had no issues (also uses the Glock type lock-up).

I'm thinking a more friendly OAL might be around 1.09". I'm on the low end of the pressure scales anyways so over-pressurizing is not a worry here.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    I'm thinking a more friendly OAL might be around 1.09". I'm on the low end of the pressure scales anyways so over-pressurizing is not a worry here.
    1.145" is long enough to hang up in the magazine tube especially with the soft spring CZ puts in the 18 round mag. I've had my best results between 1.120- 1.135". 1.09" seems pretty short to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast