Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hunting Camp from 2016 Hunting Plan thread

Ahh, a weekend of relaxation at my buddies camp with a smidge of plumbing like the wind.

My friend, his kiddo and myself went up to their camp this weekend.

Aside from bullshittiing , lying, telling stories and doing a mini handgun class, we did some additional work.

I installed the water stops, tubes and drain for the bathroom sink. The glazed steel bowl was rusted out at the bottom of the drain hole from years of apparent leakage. I installed the popup anyway and we put a bucket under the trap just to have it usable.
    The sink will have to be replaced down the road.

The water valve pit had a 3/4" ball valve and other useless valves and connections that I ripped out. The valves were gas cocks instead of water line valves. The galvanized water line sticking up and out of the pit with a hose bibb (non working)also was removed.

The heat trace sensor will be exposed to the air and connected to a switched plug under the kitchen cabinet where the other end of the PEX is connected to the copper tube with a sharkbite.

I don't use sharkbites normally but looked at a future disconnect by maybe his kids if we can't get there to do any repairs.
    The water heater flex is the union end in the pit. Removing the sharkbite under the sink will enable someone to remove the entire assembly for replacement of the heat trace when it fails.

I got some 2" PVC conduit, 6 feet of heat tape, some armaflex insulation and 10 feet of PEX tube.
    Wrapped the heat tape on the PEX, insulated it, inserted it through the conduit, put the whole assembly into place and connected the pex to a water heater flex connector and in turn to a 3 way valve.

My whole design of the 3 way valve assembly is to use a curb box key to turn the system on and off without removing the batt insulation, styrofoam inserts in the pit and hanging a lightbulb in there when we use it during hunting season.

I have to make a key with an old tire iron & 1/2" black steel pipe. I'll cut the iron, weld half of it into one side of the pipe and the handle into the other end. A small access piece of pipe will allow anyone to look down the pipe and place the key into a slot.
    The handle will be welded in directionally to show the handle going at right angles to the line (off) or inline with the pipe (on).

We are going to dig out the dirt at the bottom of the pit, install pea gravel and a switched birdbath heater under the pipe.

Fishing season coming up. Maybe a weekend of no plumbing and all relaxing.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wayne County)

Hey 27hand, at least you have a place to lay your head when wifey throws you out. Nice work.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Hey 27hand, at least you have a place to lay your head when wifey throws you out. Nice work.

More true than you think. Ha.

(Allegheny County)

Well, my wife did throw me out. Thank goodness i had this weekends trip planned. Now, instead of going up Fri and home Sunday, I left this morning at 6AM and will likely stay till Tuesday.
    I replaced the bad sink, piped an outside hose bibb and put a striker plate on the back door.

Then finally, i went for a walk in the woods. Man what a beautiful day. I walked along Otter creek and will probably throw a few spinners into some of the holes I saw. arjohnson said there are some decent bucks around this area. I saw 3 old rubs and one was on a 4" tree. Didnt kick out any deer but it brought back some good memories.
    Relaxing. Cool beans.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Well, my wife did throw me out. Thank goodness i had this weekends trip planned. Now, instead of going up Fri and home Sunday, I left this morning at 6AM and will likely stay till Tuesday.
    I replaced the bad sink, piped an outside hose bibb and put a striker plate on the back door.

Then finally, i went for a walk in the woods. Man what a beautiful day. I walked along Otter creek and will probably throw a few spinners into some of the holes I saw. arjohnson said there are some decent bucks around this area. I saw 3 old rubs and one was on a 4" tree. Didnt kick out any deer but it brought back some good memories.
    Relaxing. Cool beans.
    Talked my friend who goes up Tionesta every weekend and a few weeks ago he saw a big buck in the field by the camp with about 20 other deer. He also says he's been seeing more deer than he's seen in a long time.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Talked my friend who goes up Tionesta every weekend and a few weeks ago he saw a big buck in the field by the camp with about 20 other deer. He also says he's been seeing more deer than he's seen in a long time.
    I talked to a couple locals over the past few days and they also say there are some pretty decent bucks around that area.

I spent 5 days up there and got back late this afternoon with nary a trout to show for it. Ha. Great time though with my buddy and his 2 sons.

3 of the previous camps owners stopped by to bullshit. Great guys. One lives about 5 miles from me.

I found out roughly where the septic tank was and asked them some specifics about the place. Gray water, well I have to do some digging to see where that goes.

Since I went up before the other guys, I took out the old steel sink and put in a new one.

I decided to try making most of the plumbing as homeowner friendly as I could. I had hard piped the water heater but changed it to flexible hookups if something happens and I'm not around.

I added another cold water connection for a possible ice maker hookup if the fridge will allow complete draindown of that system.
    New service to that will be PEX.

The local gas company installed a 3" steel gas line past the property so I'm trying to convince my buddy to get a connection.
    The old camp guys said it saves them a good deal as opposed to oil and LP.
    Downside will be cost of furnace and seeing if the stove and LP space heater have changeble orfices.
    I can pipe the gas pretty cheaply.

I fished Otter Creek for natives, East Hickory and Beaver Run for stocked trout. Very few successful guys.

My buddy went upstream to the delayed harvest area just to catch a fish. He had one on and caught another. That's artificial bait only, catch and release. I went up there as well but didn't do any good with my spinners and spoons.

Great time. Can't wait to get back up there.

(Allegheny County)

Looking good. It's definitely a beautiful area to spend time.

(Lehigh County)

Very nice
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Wayne County)

The rest of the members of your club have made you chairman of the board. When does the painting start? That reminds me, I need to have my tank pumped out.

(Erie County)

Nice camp. I am pretty sure That I've driven past it several times when I was hunting in the area. Isn't the gas well pump house just up the road a bit?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast