Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Reloading: Switch to a slower powder for safety ?

I've only been reloading for just under a year now.
    Using a Lee turret press I've only loaded 900 rounds of 45LC and 400 rounds of 357MAG.

The powder I've been using is Power Pistol.

One thing I like about this powder is that the EXACT amount is required for both 45LC and 357MAG.
    Lee Autodisk .66 for ~7.5 grains.
    With my Lee Turret press setup. Using the same amount of powder for those two different rounds.
    Makes it very easy, quick, and safe to switch between the two different calibers.
    And makes very consistent charges between batches.

One thing I don't like about this powder. Is that so little is required.
    I would prefer a powder charge that fills each cartridge at least 1/2 way; making a double charge very obvious.
    Although with my auto-indexing turret press; a double charge is less likely to occur than with a single stage press or non-indexing turret.

Looking through all my reloading manuals.
    The only two powders that look like they will even come close to filling the cartridges half way are:
    • Alliant 2400
    • Vihtavuori N105

They each are in the neighborhood of 15 grains for 45LC and 12 grains for 357MAG.

In my situation. Would it be worthwhile; and safe; to switch to either of these two powders ?

Thanks;
    --ET

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading: Switch to a slower powder for safety ?

I didn't look at my reloading notes but it appears you are loading very light target loads. Most slower powders need an almost full case to generate the pressures to burn correctly. For low velocity loads a faster powder is better.

The only powder I can think of is Trail Boss. Its a very bulky reduced energy powder that is supposedly safe with with any cartrige using a full case of powder. But CHECK THIS FIRST, I am not sure if I believe it. I think it is for use only with lead bullets.

(Bucks County)

For .357, you really can't go wrong with Alliant 2400: it is a great powder for mid-to high .357 loads. Also AA9. They are both pretty visible in the case at these levels.

I also like H110 for high-end .357 loads. I'm not familiar with the Vitavouri powders. I like Power Pistol for 9mm, especially rifle loads where it excels.

That said, I load a lot of .357 to .38 or .38 +P levels using AA5 and HP-38 for target practice. You really have to peek down in the cases to see 4 grains of HP-38 in a .357 case. On the other hand, HP-38 and AA5 meter like water and if you accidentally load an extra 1 grain, it's a non-event in a .357 handgun.

My sources don't have much data for .45 Long Colt, and what they mostly use is Bullseye and Unique for performance loads, and True Blue, Competition, and Zip for Cowboy loads.

(Chester County)

My dad uses Hi-Skor 800X for his 45LC. Might be worth a look. However, it is a disk powder and wont meter well.

Another thing to think about is that with such low charges, it becomes more economical. 7.5 grains of PP will net you 933 rounds/lb of powder assuming no spillage. 12.0 grains of another powder will net you 583 rounds/lb of powder. That's ~350 rounds more using PP for the same price (assuming the two powders cost the same).
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Westmoreland County)

Unique for non magnum. H-110 or Win 296 for magnums has been my go to powders over the years.

(Lycoming County)

I use 2400 for both.357 and .44 mag. It works great for magnum loads. .45lc I like unique. It's a little dirty, but works great. I've never tried 2400 for lc. It might be worth a shot, but watch your load data and make sure you're not loading too hot for whatever you're using it in. There are lots of ruger specific loads for .45lc that use it. You wouldn't want to fire those in a saa type gun.

(Chester County)

I use IMR 4227 for .357. 14 grains, and it's quite visible in the case. (that's right in the middle for cast bullets)

I've also used Alliant 2400 for .357, though I haven't seen it on the shelves in a long time.

IMR 4227 is readily available.

(Montgomery County)

How would you get a double load with an auto indexing press?
    When you release the handle, it moves forward and the new she'll moves under the powder dropper. If something goes wrong, you won't have a spot to put a new she'll, so it would be quite obvious there is a problem.
    Am I missing something?

(Lawrence County)

I think he's using a turret press and not a progressive press.

Lycanithappenswithprogressivestoothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    How would you get a double load with an auto indexing press?
    When you release the handle, it moves forward and the new she'll moves under the powder dropper. If something goes wrong, you won't have a spot to put a new she'll, so it would be quite obvious there is a problem.
    Am I missing something?
    Yes. The presses that auto index must delay indexing until the case(s) have cleared their die(s). At that point, the PM refills on most auto-indexers. On those presses (which includes the Lee Turret) withdrawing then re- inserting the case into the PM will result in a double-charge.

And that's not the only way. Don't ask me how I know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast