Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default WILL THIS WORK ?? (pic)

With the weather soooo cold & snowy, I can't get out to give my thoughts a test. Something I have never done before and probably, everybody does it but me.

I have my lil' H&R with a rail to mount a scope. I am a scope switcher by nature, Why ?, No idea, I just do. All of my scopes work with medium rings on the H&R, regardless of the MM. I just can't use low mounts on the H&R. The bell hits or eye relief hits the hammer. Each scope has it's own set of medium rings. All Weaver. Yes they are junk (I hear), but for a zillion years that is all I have used. Even my low mounts. I had my first set of hi's last year, they now belong to my son. Never again !

Here are my thoughts. I will sight my .204 in with a 6-24X44 at 200 yards. I will sight my .204 in at 300 or maybe 350 yards with the 10-40X50.

I feel I am going to look stupid on this. Say I am set up with the 6-24 at 200 and want to go to the 10-40 at 350. I have not touched the rings after sighting in. I pop one off and pop the other right on and dose it WORK ? Then for one reason or another, one day I reverse them. Does it keep working ??? By working I mean not losing ZERO ! Is there a trap in there that will bite me ??------THIS PARAGRAPH IS THE MEAT OF THE ISSUE. Why I am doing this is none of your business !

Here is why STUPID may come into play. My rings were always rifle specific. If I changed scopes on a rifle, I put rings on bases, capped them off and re-sighted. I guess the reason is all of my rifles are drilled and tapped at different lengths. The H&R base and the two scopes match perfect for the 2 scopes. If you understand the above, you must have a PHD in The Genetic & Quantatative / Qualatative (neat words) Habits of a Fossil !

The video and Thanks, Fossil John
    Last edited by ImAfossil; February 14th, 2016 at 07:06 AM. Reason: correct
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Butler County)

Default Re: WILL THIS WORK ?? (pic)

In theory it should work. I don't think it will. A fraction of a gnat's eyelash means a lot at 350 yards

dont they have camming removable scope base mounts that are usually dead gnats nuts on when replacing them?
    http://www.airarmsports.com/UTG-LE-Q...ount-See-Thru/ worth a shot?
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    In theory it should work. I don't think it will. A fraction of a gnat's eyelash means a lot at 350 yards
    BORTLE is probably right. I have no idea what tolerance is in the rail grove(s) that creates slippage. Or is it that bad ? I would still like to hear other opinions. Live fire should tell and eventually I will find out on the bench.

Now my reasoning for 200 yards, one scope and 350 the other scope. I started doing videos on chuck shooting last year and this is not the reason I was missing high a lot. Down the middle but high. Out around 300 and plus, I was bloody awful. The videos did not create the problem, they showed me the results.

I believe 200 to 275 I can work the bugs out on the bench, but shooting out at 3 to 3 + I have lost confidence on my holdover, or something in my mechanics is happening. Where I hunt chucks, I have occasional shots out around 400 and if lucky 500. I was passing on those shots. This friggin' camcorder does not lie. It's brutally honest.

If it pans out on the bench, that I can flip scopes and keep zero, that would help a fair shooter, not a good shooter be classified fair again.
    fossil
    Ps; Holy poop---Just looked at Bigandy link--Quick detach. There is a reason for that. Carrying 2 scopes ??? Wow, no screwdriver. Off ON, OFF ON !
    Last edited by ImAfossil; February 14th, 2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Add on quick detach
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(York County)

I agree with Bortle, the theory's great, but unless you use a torque screwdriver, the exact same cross bolt pattern, exact front to back placement, and perfect level, every time, you will be off by the equation : gnats ass x distance = laughing gopher!

You should still be on the paper at the range, but I'm not convinced you'll be dead on, even with the cam mounts at such distances. Metal has some flex, induced by screws, clamps, or cams. That little movement all adds up to a miss.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

If you want to swap optics out...I would highly recommend investing in good QD rings. I've swapped out optics as I didn't want to buy expensive optics for every rifle that I own. Instead, I bought Bobro, Larue QD mounts that allow me to swap optics from rifle to rifle.

Another suggestion would be to get one good optic with a reticle that you can learn how to use. I'm a fan of Horus reticles, even though some folks feel they are "too busy." Once you learn the system, you won't think it's too busy...you will find it to be a great tool as you do not need to make turret adjustments for every shot.

I prefer going wil MILs for my rifles and learning the system will help you no matter what distance and target that you hunt.

My longest kill on a ground hog has been 530 yards with my 338Lapua Mag...I shot him in the head three summers ago. I made no turret corrections...I just used my reticle and it was on. I do however use a ballistics program to figure out my DOPE.

If you are willing to spend some money and invest in upgrading your equipment, you will be a happy camper. You will also gain knowledge how to become a better shooter instead of Kentucky windage method.