Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Moving to Carlisle

I have been offered a job in Carlisle, and I'm 90% sure I will be taking it. Looking for apartments/houses, does anyone have a lead? Able to pay ~$900/month. I'm checking the normal places (Trulia/craigslist), but I'm wondering if any locals have some insight.

I'm also going to be looking for a place to shoot. Any good private ranges?

(York County)

Default Re: Moving to Carlisle

Depending on your interests there are several good clubs in the area.

If your interest lie in shotgun sports you can check out Carlisle Fish & Game.

West Shore Sportsmen's Association is more pistol oriented (they do have a 100 yd range) and hosts monthly IDPA, USPSA, and SASS matches.

(York County)

Default Re: Moving to Carlisle

Most of the clubs in the Carlisle area are full up: get on a waiting list or if you can sign up, do it asap.

Having said that, not terribly impressed with their facilities in any case. e.g. as mentioned above Carlisle Fish & Game is HEAVILY oriented to shotgun sports, not rifle or pistol. Carlisle Gun Club has decent indoor pistol range, but no outdoor rifle/shotgun facilities, and is tough to get into: membership is rarely "open".

Carlisle is VERY 'locals' oriented and more than a little incestuous. As a 'newb' immigrant, if you want to join anything from a gun club to a swimming pool, you should assiduously pursue local connections (preferably at least 3rd-generation locals). When I moved there 15 years ago to take a job (as you are doing) my boss (a native) was really helpful in assimilating me to that 'locals' connection and I was happier there for it. FWIW it's best if you are 'pale' and have a German-sounding last name... just sayin.

Personally, so far as firearms are concerned, I drive the extra 30 minutes to use Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers club for better facilities/atmosphere.

As to real estate, no great revelations. After years in the area, would suggest you contact Karen Detweiler http://detwilerrealty.helpusell.com for help with purchase or rental. She and her team are great, and should be able to get something decent for your budget.

Generally, consider living in Boiling Springs or other areas just outside Carlisle. Carlisle-proper has plenty of "not good" areas you want to avoid which a realtor can't legitimately tell you. My 2c is if you do stick with Carlisle proper, avoid anything in-borough north of High Street or East of Hanover Street. That's for 'core' Carlisle. Get <1 mile out of 'town' toward boiling springs, plainview, middlesex or mt. holly and you'll be fine most anywhere.
    DGAF