Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Why did it take so long?

I went to my local gun shop tonight to buy a new full size 9mm. I have bought several guns there and talked to the clerk, picked out the one I wanted and filled out all the paperwork. He entered my information at 6:33 and almost immediately got on the phone, I was thinking now what. While he was on the phone 2 more gentlemen came in and each selected 2 handguns and the other clerk helped them and did their paperwork. They almost immediately finished their purchases and left. Finally my clerk said I was good to go at 7:25 and finished my purchase. The only thing I can think of is that my license had my old address on it but I gave him my license and the address card that they send you when you move. Any thoughts? The clerk was really nice and he said the system has been really random and approving some right away and others taking a while.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Why did it take so long?

Quote Originally Posted by quills View Post
    I went to my local gun shop tonight to buy a new full size 9mm. I have bought several guns there and talked to the clerk, picked out the one I wanted and filled out all the paperwork. He entered my information at 6:33 and almost immediately got on the phone, I was thinking now what. While he was on the phone 2 more gentlemen came in and each selected 2 handguns and the other clerk helped them and did their paperwork. They almost immediately finished their purchases and left. Finally my clerk said I was good to go at 7:25 and finished my purchase. The only thing I can think of is that my license had my old address on it but I gave him my license and the address card that they send you when you move. Any thoughts? The clerk was really nice and he said the system has been really random and approving some right away and others taking a while.
    Do you have a common name?

(Bucks County)

are you in a line of work that requires high scrutiny (as in f.b.I., or childline clearances?)

my haz-mat jacks me up every time.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

A friend of mine was on hold for a couple hours at the show yesterday.
    The dealer ended up waiving the 5.00 transfer fee.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Do you have a common name?
    Like Abdul?

(Philadelphia County)

Same exact thing happened to me a few months ago. The dealer used his computer instead of a phone call. Three of us were being processed. I was the first in and usually sail right through, but I ended up being the last one approved. I actually walked around for over an hour until he called me be back. He said the system did appear to freeze up for awhile, but it has never taken me that long to be approved before.

(Lackawanna County)

Is this a situation of getting through due to volume? Or, is it a situation where PICS has to take more time looking into things. The longest I ever had to wait was 10 minutes, and it was because of the FFL not getting through right away. I also went with my father-in-law when he purchased a gun. He was put in "research", but that determination was made quickly. (He's a Cuban national who is a naturalized citizen. He's a snow bird who has a FL driver's license. I'm guessing either or both of these had to do with his placement in research.)

I don't see how a common name would delay; there is other information that's going into the check? I don't want to start a conspiracy controversy, but for those of you who have longer wait times, do you fill out the optional SS# box on the 4473?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Is this a situation of getting through due to volume? Or, is it a situation where PICS has to take more time looking into things. The longest I ever had to wait was 10 minutes, and it was because of the FFL not getting through right away. I also went with my father-in-law when he purchased a gun. He was put in "research", but that determination was made quickly. (He's a Cuban national who is a naturalized citizen. He's a snow bird who has a FL driver's license. I'm guessing either or both of these had to do with his placement in research.)

I don't see how a common name would delay; there is other information that's going into the check? I don't want to start a conspiracy controversy, but for those of you who have longer wait times, do you fill out the optional SS# box on the 4473?
    Many people with common names have issues.

Example: If your name is Bill Smith, there is probably at least one prohibited person with that same name. They need time to make sure you are not him.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Many people with common names have issues.

Example: If your name is Bill Smith, there is probably at least one prohibited person with that same name. They need time to make sure you are not him.
    I understand the common name issue, but how exactly does that delay but not put one into "research". I mean, isn't all the information they have available on their computer screen? It isn't like they gave to run the name down the hall to have another office look through a filing cabinet.

This is also why I ask if others place their SS# on the 4473. If so, I would guess the "common name" thing would quickly disappear.

(Bucks County)

I had a few pretty long waits for the "instant check" but they were during the post Sandy Hook buying frenzy.

One at Sarco was 56 minutes using the computerized check, and one at Donley's that was an hour and eight minutes on hold with the phone check.

I have a pretty uncommon name but there's not an Al or a hyphen in it. I probably could pass for a jihadi especially if I don't shave for a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast