Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Hunting Guns-Small Game and Large Game-Getting Started

Okay, laugh all you want with my questions. ;-)

So, took the hunter safety course with my son, he wants to give hunting a try, he's 16, and I would like to tag along and learn something myself. Never hunted so I don't have the family pedigree ha ha but I am asking around for a nice "mentor" in Berks area, maybe that is you? Anyway, my basic thoughts simply is for ground dwellers there is small game (chucks, squirrels, rabbits, etc.) and large game (deer for starters). Not talking Moose or Rhino or elk here ha ha!

So, need a bolt action rifle to hunt in PA more or less from what I understand. So, for small game what is caliber that is generally used? Larger game? My thought on larger game is something like a 30-06? I imagine a 22LR is suitable for that small game but i assume you all use a specific bullet for lethality as well as being ethical so like no hollow points or steel core?

Okay, testing the waters so please be gentle. Thanks!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Hunting Guns-Small Game and Large Game-Getting Started

Stay home, no more game in da woods. Ok, 308, 7mm08, are excellent choices for any large animal in Pa. Small game, 20 gauge shotgun, 22 when allowed or 17 HMR would work fine. Some people like 12 or 10 gauge for turkey, no me. You'll get alot of different Opinions so stay tuned.

(Huntingdon County)

For whitetail I started out using a .223 Remington bolt action, went to a 243 Win lever action, then to a .300 Savage pump, my go to gun now is a .270 Remington 700 series. It's really preference on what gun you use. The larger cal. bullet carries better through the sticks, which I call my brush gun. So to account to the area where you will be hunting at, if there is a lot of under brush I would go with a larger cal. bullet like a 30-30. On the other hand if you are going to be hunting out of a stand or sitting by a field I would look at a bullet that can cover some distance and still have velocity when it reaches the target like 270, 308, 30-06.

For small game I either went with a pump action 22 or a shotgun. Again you have to look at your hunting location and game animal. I like using the 22 for rabbit, squirrel and ground hog. I have a .410, 16, and 12 gauge shotgun each have been used for small game. I found my go to shotgun is my Remington 870 super mag. I have used it to take squirrels all the way up to geese. It's a very well rounded gun IMHO, it even came with a slug barrel for whitetail.

I hope this helps you out.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LMTguy View Post
    For whitetail I started out using a .223 Remington bolt action, went to a 243 Win lever action, then to a .300 Savage pump, my go to gun now is a .270 Remington 700 series. It's really preference on what gun you use. The larger cal. bullet carries better through the sticks, which I call my brush gun. So to account to the area where you will be hunting at, if there is a lot of under brush I would go with a larger cal. bullet like a 30-30. On the other hand if you are going to be hunting out of a stand or sitting by a field I would look at a bullet that can cover some distance and still have velocity when it reaches the target like 270, 308, 30-06.

For small game I either went with a pump action 22 or a shotgun. Again you have to look at your hunting location and game animal. I like using the 22 for rabbit, squirrel and ground hog. I have a .410, 16, and 12 gauge shotgun each have been used for small game. I found my go to shotgun is my Remington 870 super mag. I have used it to take squirrels all the way up to geese. It's a very well rounded gun IMHO, it even came with a slug barrel for whitetail.

I hope this helps you out.
    It does help a lot and I have heard a lot of good about the 870. A classic from what I understand. 12GA. However, and forgive me because I've no shotguns, but I assume you want to use a load that has less shot (let's say larger shot circumference) than more otherwise you will be picking out a lot out of your prey? 12GA legal for small game? I assume if you are using it ha ha! Otherwise a 22LR will suffice if rifle.

Larger game I understand and 30-30 30-06 270 308, all personal preference.

This is why I need a mentor because I don't want to use the wrong gun for the purpose and end up in trouble because I used a 22LR to hit a deer (I know extreme example but you get the picture) ;-)

(Huntingdon County)

Yes the 870 is a classic and its very easy to find parts to replace broken ones or to modify the gun to your liking. For small game I use Remington game load 12 gauge, 2 3/4", 6 shot. You can use 8 shot for grouse, pheasant or dove. The lower number of shot the higher velocity of the shell. For bigger game go for a bigger shot, 5 or bigger are normally used for turkey, duck, or goose.

When dressing your game you can normally feel around to see if there is any shot left in the meat. Typically I don't find that many "BBs" in my game. Just be careful when biting down on the squirrel you just cooked up, you don't want to chip a tooth on one you missed .

12GA is legal for small game, I wouldn't use anything larger like 10GA or 8GA you want to have something left to eat!

Anything center fire riffle larger then 22-250 would be fine if you can hit the vitals.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(Bucks County)

The 'traditional' small game arm was the shotgun. Legal use of a rim fire for small game is a fairly new rule.

the most popular gauges would be 12 and 20 along with the diehard 16 gauge owners [that's all my dad ever used!].

Shooting up at tree rats with a 22 is not good as you don't know what your spent and missed rounds will do as they return to earth but a shotgun works as the shot pellets won't travel out of sight.

Starting with an 870 you could also gear it up for deer with the variety of solid ammo available.

Remember a 20 gauge shoots almost a fast as the 12 gauge just with a smaller amount of shot...try BOTH

(Bucks County)

Well,

First get yourself acquainted with all of the game laws.

You will hear all kinds of things about rifle caliber and type. Same with shot gun.

My prefrences:

Deer; ellk, antelope, bear basically anything in north america - 30-06; 270; 7MM (I use bolt action but many prefer lever or pump)
    turkey - 12ga - because i used them for other game as well (I use semi auto because why not)
    Upland - 20ga O/U; also have 12ga o/u

I have never hunted rabbit or squirrel. Never had the desire to eat them.

You will have to use whatever you are comfortable with. Some say the lowest caliber and the lightest gun because of the mountains. I have different guns for different game and terrain. Who wouldn't want all the options.

I have a .22 but it is semi auto which you can't use to hunt in PA. Many go with bolt action .22 or .17

coyote - well whatever works for you and is legal.

Best advice, get something legal, comfortable, safe, and practice with it until it becomes second nature.

After you get acquainted hunting with a firearm.. hope to see you in the woods with a bow.

It's not that hard.

Find a manual center fire rifle you like for deer, almost doesn't matter which caliber. Especially to start because if you stick with it you may fine tune that choice dependent on the terrain. For beginning get what suits you.

Find a manual .22 you like. AFAIC unless you are only hunting squirrel a .22 is not much use.
    For the most part small game is all open together, which is why most carry a shotgun.

Pick up a 12 or 20 gauge for everything else.

Go hunt!
    It's just that simple.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lehigh County)

I have always used a 12 gauge for small game. Throw some target loads in there and you'll be fine (For rabbits, squirrels, etc.) If you happen to get into pheasant, consider using some high brass loads, but from my experiences, 12 gauge is a fine all around small game gun. My personal preference for deer is a 30-06 or a 30-30. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with either. Good Luck!

(Berks County)

How come you all aren't being mean to me? Aren't you supposed to? I mean I am considering hunting and you don't want another yahoo out there without a clue! I am at a disadvantage as my Father did not hunt when I was around, meaning, he hunted when he was younger and I never really asked him to go hunting so anyway... My son is interested ergo I am interested. Good bonding time even if we don't get a thing.

I am seeing a pattern here. 12ga for small game and center fire 30-06, 30-30, 270 etc for deer. I feel 100% more informed than when I started the thread so thank you. Since I have neither a 12ga or a center fire bolt (except Mosin but that's not what I want to lug around ha ha!) Looks like I am going to have fun shopping!!

Okay, so next set of questions, I obviously need to start small, learn the ropes, see what it's like in the wiley woods! I'm on the hunt so to speak for a person to go out with me a few times to show me the ropes. I don't live on a farm so shooting gophers for crop control or whatever isn't going to happen. Not really sure I would like squirrel meat, so I guess I shouldn't plan on shooting them because, well, you don't shoot to shoot unless it is a threat or danger to others/nuisance. That's a gray area for me, I'm no freaking tree hugger but, well, you know.... Anyway, does one eat fox? Are there fox in Berks/Lancaster? Well, just thinking. Maybe I am off on some tangent with that question....

Okay rabbit, people eat that, is it any good? Never had it. Are there people that would say take them from me if I want to shoot but not eat? I know, stupid question.

Seems like the small game is basically squirrel, rabbit and then stuff like pheasant, grouse, quail, geese and ducks. Not sure if I can shoot up in the sky quite yet ha ha and I know duck hunting is quite involved with the whole decoy, blind and all that jazz! Maybe not where I would start.

Groundhog? Eat them? Legal, what's the story with them?

I know, laugh laugh laugh, I am so wet behind the ears!!! ;-) PM me if you would rather scold me in private or give me some tips.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast