Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Gun taken for ocing in allentown.

This happened over two weeks ago and a fellow from xdtalk told me to post it here. My little brother comes home from work and tells me about how a coworker of his got his gun taken from him this past weekend. My brother said his coworker was at his house in allentown taking a walk with his son. Police officer approaches him and takes his gun stating that it is a city ordinance that you can not oc in Allentown. So my brothers buddy then calls the officers superiors and the chief said it was a mistake. He asked about getting his gun back and the chief said that it will take some time or whatever. So apparently my brothers coworker told the chief he would be hearing from his lawyer. The chief said he could come in and get his gun the next day. When he went to pick the gun up the chief said he was lucky that they were not going to pursue this any farther.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gun taken for ocing in allentown.

Yes, the CHIEF is lucky that they weren't going to pursue this any further...

Look at what's happening in Dickson City for something quite similar

*in before the 900 lb gorilla*

(Lebanon County)

Every law enforcement agency in Lehigh county has been sent a training memo. Maybe a follow up of some sort is in order.

ETA: I'm at work and xdtalk is blocked. I'll have to research it when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by truecrimson; August 10th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Chester County)

Popcorn time....

The chief needs to understand the his officer illegally stole the guy's property. That is a 4th Amendment violation.

me too.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lehigh County)

jtkratzer was the fellow who told me to post this over here and it was about time I joined too. Anyways, I gave my brother the oc pamphlet and my atf state laws and published ordinances book to give to his coworker tomorrow.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    me too.
    The 900 lb gorilla is away for the weekend. Elmo will have to do. (he does have a gun, ya know)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer21121 View Post
    This happened over two weeks ago and a fellow from xdtalk told me to post it here. My little brother comes home from work and tells me about how a coworker of his got his gun taken from him this past weekend. My brother said his coworker was at his house in allentown taking a walk with his son. Police officer approaches him and takes his gun stating that it is a city ordinance that you can not oc in Allentown. So my brothers buddy then calls the officers superiors and the chief said it was a mistake. He asked about getting his gun back and the chief said that it will take some time or whatever. So apparently my brothers coworker told the chief he would be hearing from his lawyer. The chief said he could come in and get his gun the next day. When he went to pick the gun up the chief said he was lucky that they were not going to pursue this any farther.
    Speedracer, it would be most helpful if anyone here is going to get involved at this stage, that the actual party involved post here to establish contact. Doing this sort of thing via third-hand info is not the way to go.

The good news is, that other than some follow-up 'education', the matter seems to have resolved itself.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The 900 lb gorilla is away for the weekend. Elmo will have to do. (he does have a gun, ya know)

Speedracer, it would be most helpful if anyone here is going to get involved at this stage, that the actual party involved post here to establish contact. Doing this sort of thing via third-hand info is not the way to go.

The good news is, that other than some follow-up 'education', the matter seems to have resolved itself.
    I gave my brother this website to give to his coworker. I agree hearing stuff from a third party is not the way to go, but I felt this needed some attention.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer21121 View Post
    I gave my brother this website to give to his coworker. I agree hearing stuff from a third party is not the way to go, but I felt this needed some attention.
    Understood, and I appreciate you sharing what you know. But before we jump up and down, and start sending nasty letters, e-mails and phone calls, we like to get all of our 'ducks in a row'.

We have verified that this ordinance does indeed exist (enacted in 1962), despite the fact that state law currently prohibits such a measure. There are many such ordinances around the state, many long in existence, and not all actually enforced. This will be addressed in one manner or another, but we don't go complaining about a specific 'police encounter' until we are confident we have an accurate picture of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    Every law enforcement agency in Lehigh county has been sent a training memo. Maybe a follow up of some sort is in order.
    Not to put down anyone involved with the good idea of the training memo, but who knows if they are even read by the agency they're sent to?

I would guess that most LEOs would not care about reading some document sent in by the public. Like a "who do they think they are?" attitude. Especially when you are trying to explain something to them they they may not understand and/or are doing wrong.

Has there been any positive or negative feedback from the memos from any agency they've been sent to?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Has there been any positive or negative feedback from the memos from any agency they've been sent to?
    AFAIK, Rich has not had any feedback from any agency that has ever received an OC Training Memo.

I'm happy that they are getting sent out, and that the recipients are being documented, but I'm personally very skeptical that they have any effect whatsoever in regards to preventing confrontations between LEOs and OCers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast