Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shooting on your own property

I'm looking to buy a new home and with property. What is the minimum amount property you need to lawfully shoot on your own propery. And is that a county or state set amount.

(York County)

Default Re: shooting on your own property

The short answer is: It depends.

This topic has been hashed over quite a bit in the past. Use the search feature to look up threads where it has been discussed to see what has been shared. If actively shopping for a home on some land, check with your potential township to see if they have local regs under categories like nuisance or noise that would be a problem for you.

Where I live it has nothing to do with property size, it has to do with the township ordinances regarding the discharge of firearms. I can shoot on my property all day as long as I have a proper back stop(there's no inspection) regardless if I have .5 or 20 acres here. I would advise calling each township you are considering and asking them their regulations on discharging firearms for personal use before purchasing property.

Sound advice being given here. Would suck to buy a place, only to find out later,myou cant shoot because of some BS noise ordinance. Good luck.

Thanks guys. So just to be on the safe side. I'll call the sheriff and speak with the town clerks office

(Tioga County)

It's pretty obvious to say that you own every bullet you send downrange and responsibility also falls on you for guests that shoot as well on your property, so not only is a solid backstop necessary but also worth considering what happens if someone launches a round over a backstop.

The most ideal thing is to buy property with a hillside that you own. My range has a gradual slope in it so wherever I place targets the rounds go right into the mountain behind the target and beyond that at the end of the range the mountain immediately climbs steeply upwards with a dense sponge of trees behind the range as well. I own all the way to the top of the mountain and control access.

In addition here in PA there are state rules as I recall that have distance limits in regards to discharging firearms near other people's homes. I can't remember the exact distances now but my range is well outside of that and also out of view of any other property.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmybigtoys View Post
    Thanks guys. So just to be on the safe side. I'll call the sheriff and speak with the town clerks office
    The sheriff isn't going to have anything to do with it...It's all your potential municipality like everyone has already told you.

No offense to the OP

For the love of God can a mod please make a sticky regarding this topic?
    It must get posed 6 times a week for the past 10 years.

I said please.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    The sheriff isn't going to have anything to do with it...It's all your potential municipality like everyone has already told you.
    This. If it's very rural like here that would be one of the township supervisors. If you know where the township office is you could check in person. Each township has its own web page listing all contact info.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Chester County)

When I bought land in Potter county I didn't want to be the new guy upsetting the folks in neighboring camps, so I went to the township municipal office and asked about any firearm ordinances with regard to distance from dwellings, "quiet hours", shooting full auto and a bunch of other what I soon realized were dumb questions. The person I spoke to politely stifled a giggle and told me not to worry about it, just use common sense and good judgment.

The morning after the first night I camped there I was woken by what sounded like WW III had broken out. Shots were echoing through the woods from all directions before I had my first cup of coffee. I knew right then and there I was going to fit right in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast