Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How good is the Stoeger Cougar?

I saw a Stoeger Cougar for sale at a show for about $339. I know its the same as the Beretta and I am aware that the Storm (similar, in plastic with easier takedown features) is being or has been considered/ approved for the Coast Guard. I am fascinated with the manual of arms of this weapon, but I am not sure that it is SUCH an improvement over my 96D simply because it is doesn't necessitate the play at the muzzle end of the barrel and the "jump" at the breech that is the consequence of traditional locking features. I am told its easier on the frame stress and the felt recoil and is more accurate.

Does anyone know if the hype outweighs the advantages of proven designs (with all due respect to the old Mexican Obregon pistol).

Please share any comments or thoughts on this topic- if you love it, hate it or think that its on par with other Berettas, Sigs etc.

Thanks and Shoot Safely!

Default Re: How good is the Stoeger Cougar?

I have the Couger in 40. Ive only put a couple hundred rounds thru, but so far I give an A+. It IS an accurate gun, take down/cleaning is no problem. Fit and finish on mine is good and the quality of material seems first rate (especially for the price). Berretta made this same model in 45acp once upon a time. They wanted a lot of money for them (too much for the market at the time, and that's what killed it). I hope they will have their Stoeger bunch produce the 45 again. I'll try to B the first in line to buy one. Like ALL firearms, the next guy might say he got one and it was a POS. I am VERY happy with mine.

Thanks! I remember the 8000's costing a lot of $ years ago and then they all but disappeared! I read an article last year about this and the author expressed regret at having sold his Beretta Cougar .45. I too would love to see them make this in 9.40 and 45 and especially Inox! I think the market is ready, but everyone seems to have dumped in favor of the Storm.

I am not not sure what it is, but i just can't seem to get that excited about the storm. I think I saw one retail for about $549. I would rather save the money and be happier. I just don't know if the the Cougar flat-out beats a tuned up Sig P-229 in 9mm, or the 96D in .40.

Heavy sigh... Much like other things in life- too many temptations, not enough cash...

If you factor in the "bargaIn" thing, the comparisons become a whole different thing. I own a SIG (a 226, 357), its getting close to "you name it I got it". The Sig is a fine, quality gun. IT COST A LOT! Although my coug. is in 40, I could have bought 3 of them for the Sig price and had some ammo money to boot. I wouldn't want to part with either pistol. Is the Sig 3 times better than the Coug. ? How could it be unless the Stoeger wears out three times as fast, or starts to malfunction. Some firearms are just good bargains. I hate to open up an ugly can of worms, but one of my favorite handguns has never had a ftf/ftf/fte. It is super accurate (which I love), and all things considered was dirt cheap. HERE GOES ! It is an EAA Witness Match in 10mm! OK! Go ahead somebody, tell me what a POS EAA products are! I own 4 different models and they have ALL been OUTSTANDING. Maybe I have just been lucky with them, but from MY experience, they are one of the most under rated guns out there (at least considering that "bargain" thing)

I totally agree with you about some guns just being good guns. The corollary is that some "good" guns are lousy once you own them.

In this case, I do not need to worry about the Stoeger, since the price magically went up $60 since 2 weeks ago, when I SHOULD have snapped it up at the low price. Oh well, maybe if I wait, Stoeger will come out with a stainless one, or the price will drop again. Who knows how the gun world fates operate?

For now, I'll rely on my good old Sig P-229.

Hope we both win a lottery!

I think the price might continue to climb, at least a little. When these were first out, they were much cheaper. What happened is that word spred fast about how good they were and they all got grabbed up. Good old supply and demand dictated that they could up the price and still sell. This is a good blueprint that was spendy from Beretta. They just changed from higher to lower cost labor. Materials seem very good, and "cheap" labor is often more a factor of local economics more than training or attention to detail. I would find and buy a 9 today if I could afford it. I WILL buy a 45 if/when they make one. Good luck with that lottery (both of us!)

(Montgomery County)

Not sure of the Stoeger, But I had the Beretta 8000 9mm and it was a wonderful gun.

I have heard (from beretta forums) that hte stoeger is a NICE piece.

Do I regret selling the 8000 F... not really.

(Lycoming County)

Smile Re: How good is the Stoeger Cougar?

I have a .45 Stoeger and I love it. I like a big grip. Never a jam. Shot several hundred rounds thru it You almost never see people reselling these.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosko Packer View Post
    I think the price might continue to climb, at least a little. When these were first out, they were much cheaper. What happened is that word spred fast about how good they were and they all got grabbed up. Good old supply and demand dictated that they could up the price and still sell. This is a good blueprint that was spendy from Beretta. They just changed from higher to lower cost labor. Materials seem very good, and "cheap" labor is often more a factor of local economics more than training or attention to detail. I would find and buy a 9 today if I could afford it. I WILL buy a 45 if/when they make one. Good luck with that lottery (both of us!)
    Stoeger has been making a .45 Cougar for at least a couple of years now.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    Stoeger has been making a .45 Cougar for at least a couple of years now.

Yeah, but he posted that comment 5 1/2 years ago.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast