Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Opinions on S&W Shield VS 642 J Frame.

I have used a S&W J Frame for concealed carry for many years. Lately the Shield has been on my mind for the thinner profile and higher round count.
    Has anyone else made this switch and what is your opinion of the 9MM Shield?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Opinions on S&W Shield VS 642 J Frame.

I switched from a snubbie (LCR) to a single stack 9 (LC9S) and I'm happy. More rounds, quicker reload, and most importantly I shoot it much quicker and more accurately. Shield and LC9s are very comparable in my mind.

Bottom line: what do you shoot better and feel more comfortable with?

(Chester County)

My SO made this exact switch, but for a different reason. She never shot well with the 642 and hated shooting it on the range, so she never got good with it.

For the replacement, she tried several different guns and landed on the Shield because she shoots well with it and it is actually fun to play with. It is the right balance of shootability vs size and weight for a carry gun. I like it too, and often shoot it at the range. The safety took some getting used to for her, but some training by me and others fixed that.

So far the Shield has eaten all of the different ammo we've fed it, and has been extremely reliable.

Targetmaster has some Shields in their rentals, so it's pretty easy to try one out.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

in my opinion your not going to find a better single stack carry pistol then the Shield. I sometimes carry a 442 as a back up to my Shield or the G43 but it will never replace either as my main carry piece.

(Dauphin County)

I used to carry my snub nose model 60 (stainless j frame .357) as a back up gun religiously until I acquired a Shield in .40. Now I trade between the two depending upon the situation. If I'm hiking or I'm in an outdoor setting I opt for the wheel gun, anywhere else I'm taking the Shield. I would even feel comfortable carrying the shield as a primary weapon (If i had two spare mags) where I would not feel as confident with the model 60 alone.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Chester County)

I have the Shield 9mm. It's a great gun, but not great for me. I find it too thin for my hands. When I shoot mine, no matter how hard I grip the gun, it still slightly moves in my hand when I pull the trigger. My girlfriend shoots it great, so I'm saving it for her for when we get married and she gets her LTCF. Personally, I rather have the M&P 9C over the Shield 9 between those two (2) choices. If it wasn't limited to those two (2) choices and if I wanted an easy gun to conceal, I'd get a Sig P320 subcompact.

Again great gun, just not meant for me.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Adams County)

I have both, Shield is a great single stack compact carry choice, it feels like a larger gun but very low profile. Other sub compact type guns I have feel smalled down but not the Shield. I have the Apex FSS and Trigger if you like 1911's I highly suggest it. I use my 637 same as 442 just has a hammer, when I just throwing something in my pocket to go to the store or places local, when I travel its usually with the Shield, and if I going to York or Harrisburg its the Sig 229.

(Lancaster County)

The shield is a great single stack for a great price. I prefer a larger sized pistol for my ccw ( more rounds, better grip on the pistol), but I highly recommend the shield if that's what your looking for. I liked to carry mine with the extended mag in, so I was able to still have a full grip.

(Philadelphia County)

Simple solution, drop the 642 in a pocket holster for backup and rock the S&W M&P Shield on your side.
    Those who dare.

If you pocket carry, consider this:

A 642 /442 will fire five times from within a pocket, a Shield only once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast