Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Groundhog Day question on groundhog loads

This year I want to finally get started on varminting, and therefore want to get started on the ammo for it as loading it will cost less per round and I can tune it. So my first question is, for 5.56/.223, am I well off using the heavier 60-62gr varminting bullets like V-max and Varmageddon, the 50-55's in Vmax, or my usual 69-77gr HPBT match stuff? Pros/cons?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Washington County)

Default Re: Groundhog Day question on groundhog loads

What twist is your barrel?
    Usually the varmint type rifles have a 1:12. I would use lighter bullets, 50-55
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Lehigh County)

Chris has a good point. Since a lot of shots are at some distance, the answer is whichever you are most accurate with. The specialty bullets are. designed to perform, but I will propose that the HPBT will do the job, if you do yours.

Chuck hunting is a great sport, and you don't freeze your ass off! I recommend a decent bipod, makes things go better.

No help from me on your question just wondering what type of rifle you plan to use?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    No help from me on your question just wondering what type of rifle you plan to use?
    That's a trick question if ever I saw one

In my book shoot whatever's flattest ( lighter & faster), there's less worry about ranging them in! You really don't need anything over 55 unless you're trying to reach way out there. At our place I use only .17 HMR and .22mag, both are good to 150+ yards. I don't have the need for anything further with the rolling hills. I prefer the .17 for its knockdown without the run. It's inexpensive, and a good savage rifle can be found for $200.

I know Fossil shoots a cracking .204 a few counties over!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Somerset County)

I started with 55 gr Hornady spitzers in my 223 and haven't seen any reason to change.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    That's a trick question if ever I saw one

In my book shoot whatever's flattest ( lighter & faster), there's less worry about ranging them in! You really don't need anything over 55 unless you're trying to reach way out there. At our place I use only .17 HMR and .22mag, both are good to 150+ yards. I don't have the need for anything further with the rolling hills. I prefer the .17 for its knockdown without the run. It's inexpensive, and a good savage rifle can be found for $200.

I know Fossil shoots a cracking .204 a few counties over!

I had to think about that for a second and realize it's the semi auto hunting clause. I was actually wondering if he had one of the newer .223 offerings by Ruger or Mossberg.

(Susquehanna County)

You might NOT want to use your heavy HPBT since they aren't nearly as frangible as a true "varmint" bullet. You do have to concerned with the "and beyond" part of the rules of safety.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I had to think about that for a second and realize it's the semi auto hunting clause. I was actually wondering if he had one of the newer .223 offerings by Ruger or Mossberg.
    I'm looking at one like that if I absolutely must, but in the meantime looking for this state to get out of the stupid stone age so I can use my AR's. Either way it'll be the same .223 load so I might as well get them developed now ahead of time.

I seriously hope whatever idiot put in the clause in the law right now prohibiting semi auto rifles from hunting has been severely punished.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    You might NOT want to use your heavy HPBT since they aren't nearly as frangible as a true "varmint" bullet. You do have to concerned with the "and beyond" part of the rules of safety.
    Ya know, I was thinking about that, and thought that perhaps I do want a lower grain, lower BC load such as a 50-55 grain flat base for the shorter shots to where they drop faster thus end up in the dirt sooner. Then as longer shots present themselves I would use the heavy stuff to carry farther only for the shots that would otherwise be taken with a .22-250 or .243 by someone who has them. Does that make sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast