Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hey! I'm new. Some newbie questions.

Hey guys. I'm only 17 but I saw no rules indicating age discrimination (Oh yes, I said it, DISCRIMINATION).

I, of course, can't carry in any form at my age yet, but I'm still learning as much as I possibly can.

I have some questions that may seem silly or obvious..

I was recently at the range, firing a 1911 .45 (As anything of weaker caliber would jeapordize my manliness), and decided I was going to fullmag + 1 the gun to see what it was like. When I fired, I actually felt the force of the round going into the chamber. That kind of worries me, as that would seem to imply that that must have been pretty intensive on the magazine's spring. Many people CARRY like that. Wouldn't the magazine spring wear out significantly quicker that way?

I imagine that it's dependant on the magazine, but how long does it generally take for a magazine's spring to wear out?

Thanks to this wonderful website and forum, I no longer have trouble finding out the laws for this state, thanks! However, I can't find anything concerning age-restrictions. When I ask people questions concerning firearm ownership, some say "18" some say "21" some say "18 for everything except handguns which are 21" and some say, "Oh my god why would you think about guns?! Are you some sort of terrorist?!". What age can I buy a handgun? What age can I buy a rifle (or shotgun, or otherwise long gun)? What age can I transport them to the range? What age can I apply for a LTCF? What age can I open carry?

I haven't heard the term LTCF before meeting this forum. What's the difference between a LTCF and a CCW?

Lets say you don't have a license to carry, so you open carry. I heard that having your loaded firearm within the boundaries of your vehicle or glove compartment is considered concealed-carry. If this is true, then how do you "open-carry" in a car? tape it to you windshield? XD I suppose an officer wouldn't hassle you for that, but it seems like a wierd technicality.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Hey! I'm new. Some newbie questions.

Welcome to the forums.

You've asked alot of questions that have been answered numerous times here. Try using the search button on the upper left of the forum pages. Do some searching, reading, etc... then come back if you can't find the answers.

example:: I did a search for "difference ltcf ccp" This was the first thread. http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...cw-vs-ccp.html

Have fun...
    Μολὼν λάβε

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

As far as the 1911's are concerned. Don't worry. They've been around for a long time. They got the bugs worked out. Others on here can tell just how long it takes to wear all your springs out. Probably by the time you're old enough to drink. Modern magazines can be left fully loaded. It won't hurt it.

There is no such thing as a ccw permit. It's called a LTCF.

18 to buy rifles 21 to buy pistols.

Aply for your LTCF when you're 21

I think you can OC at 18. Don't quote me on that

In the car is concealed

Don't tape a gun to your windshield. A cop WILL hassle you for that.

And even if they don't. Just don't tape a gun to your windshield
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; August 8th, 2008 at 01:53 PM.

(Allegheny County)

when you are 18 a parent or gandparent can gift you a pistol with no paperwork. Or you can buy one off a individual if a sheriffs office will agree to do the paperwork. But you cannot buy from a dealer until you are 21.
    Longguns you can buy when you are 18. Either at a dealer or FTF (face to face) from a private seller with no paperwork.

You cannot get a LTCF until you are 21, but you can OC (open carry) once you are 18.
    In the vehicle AT ALL, NO MATTER HOW VISABLE is considered concealed. Without your LTCF you can put the pistol in the car only to ake it directly somewhere, like to a competition or the range and directly back home. You will need to look up or have someone post the specifics of the law but I believe it has to be unloaded and ammo and pistol in seperate conatainers that are not readily accesable.

read this:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

(Montgomery County)

So the implication I'm getting concerning open carry seems to be that you cannot transport a loaded weapon to a place exclusivly for the reason of open-carrying it.. So you need to transport it to the area you wish unloaded and seperate from the ammo, get out of your car, load the weapon right there and put it on your hip.. That doesn't sound right. If that's so, that's perposterous.
    Last edited by StealthBeast; August 8th, 2008 at 02:26 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post

In the car is concealed

Don't tape a gun to your windshield. A cop WILL hassle you for that.

And even if they don't. Just don't tape a gun to your windshield
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just spit iced tea all over the damn place!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBeast View Post
    So the implication I'm getting concerning open carry seems to be that you cannot transport a loaded weapon to a place exclusivly for the reason of open-carrying it.. So you need to transport it to the area you wish unloaded and seperate from the ammo, get out of your car, load the weapon right there and put it on your hip.. That sound sound right. If that's so, that's perposterous.
    Not exactly.

If you have a LTCF, you can carry however you see fit whether you're in a vehicle or not. Since you are not yet old enough for a LTCF, this does not apply to you.

For someone who does not have a LTCF, you can OC on foot only. The only instances where you can take your firearm with you in a vehicle, are to and from the range, to a place to get it repaired, etc. You can not transport it wherever you go for the purpose of OC.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.*

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.-The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons

are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

(13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    Last edited by Agent Smith; August 8th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Proud member of:

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBeast View Post
    So the implication I'm getting concerning open carry seems to be that you cannot transport a loaded weapon to a place exclusivly for the reason of open-carrying it.. So you need to transport it to the area you wish unloaded and seperate from the ammo, get out of your car, load the weapon right there and put it on your hip.. That doesn't sound right. If that's so, that's perposterous.
    If I remember right you can't even do that. You're only allowed to transport from your house to a range, gunsmith, or gunshop, then directly back.

I think If you just want to drive somewhere then open carry you need someone with a LTCF to transport the gun for you.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this?

In case it wasn't clear. Don't tape a gun to your windshield.

(Montgomery County)

XD The windshield remark was a joke. I mean that it doesn't seem like a police officer wouldn't hassle you for open-carrying, exclusivly because your sitting in your car while doing it
    Last edited by StealthBeast; August 8th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

(Butler County)

They've hassled people for open carrying LEGALLY!

They'll jump all over you shit for doing something like that.

Before you ever consider OCing you really need to do some reading on here. You need to know every aspect of the law, and that won't even keep you out of trouble. When the police hassle you then you can tell them the law, they'll tell you "shut up kid" and do what they want. then you will have to spent time and money to straighten it out.

Better yet, just get a lawyer now and have him go out with you. Might save some time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast