Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default 10 Reasons to Buy a Gun Safe

This article is almost 2 years old but just popped up as a link for me today. While there are certainly advantages for many of y'all to having safes, especially if you have young kids, not all gun owners are in the same situation.

That said:

• the proofreading sucks
    • I can't help hearing "but it's for the children™"
    • the states referenced in #6, #7, and #10 can pucker 'pon my posterior
    • #5 is... well... read it and let me know what you think - am I just in a mood today?

http://www.homedefensegun.net/gun-safe/

At the first sight, you might not find it necessary to buy a gun safe. After all, a gun safe doesn’t seem to help other then keeping your guns in a confined area. Then, do you really need to spend dollars on buying one of these bulky safes?
    Well, if you go through the statistics of the children being killed each year because of poorly stored firearms, I’m sure you’ll definitely get a gun safe, at least for the safety of your children. Moreover, you can find several real stories of guns being stolen from a house, and then the stolen guns being used for various immoral crimes. In this article, we shall discuss on 10 good reasons to get a gun safe.

1. To keep your guns out of reach of your children
    Various studies have revealed that over 1,000 children in America were killed or seriously injured because of poorly stored guns at their house, each year. Getting a gun safe to store firearms will prohibit your children to having accessto the firearms. This will eliminate the chance of accidental firings and will prevent unintentional killings or injuries.

2. To prevent your firearms from theft
    A gun safe equipped with necessary anti-theft features will definitely prevent your antique or expensive guns from theft. For instance, a WWII pistol, from your grandfather, as a souvenir, is of sentimental value and you can’t afford to lose it. Storing the pistol in a gun safe will ensure its security.

3. To keep you guns safe from fire
    Storing your firearms in a gun safe with good fire rating reduces the risk from fire-damages. Some gun safes are capable of resisting high temperatures of 18000F for 1 hour. This will obviously secure your firearms from being damaged by accidental household fires.

4. To keep other valuables safe
    Don’t think that a gun safe is meant only for storing guns. You can use the security and fireproof features of a gun safe to prevent damage of other valuables like documents, expensive watches, jewelry, and so on.

5. To have a quick access to your firearms
    When it comes to having a quick access to your firearms whenever you need it, it becomes really important for you to buy a gun safe. If you feel that some intruders are nearing your house, what you just need to do is opening the lock of the safe, and no sooner you will be with your gun.

6. To follow the ‘Child Access Prevention Laws’
    Since 1989, several state laws have been made to prevent access of guns by children, and the Child Access Prevention Law is one of them. This law also constrains gun owners to lock their firearms in a safe place, like gun safes, so that their children can’t play with them. So, if you’re a gun owner, you must buy a gun safe.

7. To follow ‘Firearm Locking Device Laws’
    Many states require locking up your firearms, even if you don’t have kids at your home. This law insures the storage of all the firearms at one place, most preferably in a safe.

8. To protect yourself from lawyers
    In the event of burglary, you have a strong point to demonstrate that you undertook necessary actions to securely store your firearms, and no lawyer can file a lawsuit against you. But if you don’t have a gun safe, it’s rather difficult for you to get yourself away from lawyers.

9. Decoration
    Nowadays, gun safe manufacturers are giving priority also to the overall look of the gun safes, besides just the security. Keeping gun safes at the corner of your room can actually decorate that part of your room.

10. Tax Deduction
    Some states provide a tax credit on purchasing a gun safe. States like New Jersey and Massachusetts don’t even charge any tax on buying a gun safe.

So, these were the 10 reasons why you should by a gun safe.

(Berks County)

Default Re: 10 Reasons to Buy a Gun Safe

You seem to have covered it with your response on their site.

(Allegheny County)

Author sounds like an idiot to me.

But attacking him because your specific personal situation, which is not the normal, is inapplicable to his generic advice, seems silly.
    Last edited by free; January 18th, 2016 at 10:05 PM.

(Chester County)

As you alluded, his credibility is ruined by reason # 5.

(Allegheny County)

That made my head hurt to read.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

That is a painful article to read. I have a safe because I choose to for several reasons and have a cool story from Saturday that is safe related. It's an option for people to consider, but should never be mandated by the government as a prerequisite for gun ownership.

(Allegheny County)

If I were going to write it, it would be more like this:

1. To keep small, valuable items safe from intruders and various household members who cannot be trusted to keep their hands off your shit

• In 2010, there were an estimated 2,159,878 burglaries
    • Burglary accounted for 23.8 percent of the estimated number of property crimes committed in 2010.
    • Victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $4.6 billion in lost property in 2010; overall, the average dollar loss per burglary offense was $2,119.
    • Burglaries of residential properties accounted for 73.9 percent of all burglary offenses.

A quality, heavy (at least 1000 pounds empty) safe will help keep your good stuff safe when you're not home - and even if you are home, provided you have the stamina to keep the combination from being beaten out of you, or otherwise given up under duress.

2. To keep you documents, gold and cash safe from fire
    Storing your documents, gold and cash in a gun safe with good fire rating reduces the risk from fire-damages. Some gun safes are capable of resisting high temperatures of 18000F for 1 hour. This will obviously secure your documents, gold and cash from being damaged by accidental household fires. For maximum protection, put your documents, gold and cash in a fire-chest WITHIN the safe itself. Bonus points if you keep current backups of your computer in there too.

3. To decorate your walk-in safe room or vault
    Not everything fits in a safe. Therefore, if you're serious about home security, you will have a walk-in safe room or vault - for all of your emergency prep stuff, such as food, generator, first aid supplies, goods to barter with, and especially a shit-ton of ammo. Since you're not a dumbass, if you're going through the trouble of making one of these, it will be a good size. What better way to fill up some of that space and give yourself even MORE security than by putting a gun safe in it? Why yes, you can put your safe in your safe! Only a FOOL would even THINK about "decorating" living space with a gun safe, thereby advertising his goodies to anyone who comes into his house. Therefore, not being a dumbass, you will have your gun safe tucked in an out of the way, out of sight location, such as in your walk-in safe room or vault. This is a decoration worth having. If you have room, it would not be inappropriate to decorate your safe room or vault room with multiple gun safes, especially one dedicated for ammo.

So, these are the 3 reasons why you should by a gun safe.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Author sounds like an idiot to me.

But attacking him because your specific personal situation, which is not the normal, is inapplicable to his generic advice, seems silly.
    I mostly pointed out where his points did not apply to my situation. I didn't call him out on the "but it's for the children™" tone.

I expressed my displeasure with the other states' laws he cites as reasons. I didn't say they aren't valid reasons for people living under those laws.

I *corrected* him on the lawyer thing. I may have gone a bit far, but it did need correcting.

I only attacked him (your word) on the flat out ridiculousness of #5. That $#!% can get someone killed and needs to be challenged on that alone.

(Delaware County)

#3 seems a bit excessive. Unless you're dropping your 'fire-rated' gun safe on the surface of Sirius (the Dog Star) for an hour, an 18,000 degree F rating is overkill. ;/
    (Member NRA & GOA)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by donstrom View Post
    #3 seems a bit excessive. Unless you're dropping your 'fire-rated' gun safe on the surface of Sirius (the Dog Star) for an hour, an 18,000 degree F rating is overkill. ;/
    I wrote that one off to proofreading and the last zero meant to be a degree symbol. I couldn't, in good conscience, hammer the writer for that one given the quality of the editing *may* have led to it.

That being said, if the safe had to endure an hour of 18000 degrees I'm fairly certain the entire area would probably be unsafe for humans for several generations until enough radiological decay had taken place...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast