Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Military Tests the SCAR

Operators Test New Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR)

It's a rifle designed specifically for the special operations community. Modular barrels, ambidextrous controls, a gas-piston operating system, a host of adjustment options -- but you already know that.

So with all the slick marketing language and eye-popping specifications of the SOCOM Combat Assault Rifle, it's a given that operators will embrace the thing wholeheartedly, right?

Well, let's ask them.

"This rifle is awesome," said one Special Forces operator who, like the rest of the Green Berets in this interview, declined to be named for security reasons. "It's spot on."

Now you get an idea of how the men who'll use the weapon in combat felt about it, not just some six-figure marketing guru spewing crafty catch-phrases. But what's most interesting is why they liked the rifle so much.

Watch the Military.com SCAR Demo Video

In an exclusive, Military.com joined a group of about a dozen special operations Soldiers from around the country who traveled to Northern Virginia this summer to test fire the SCAR before their upcoming deployment to the Middle East. Ground rules agreed to between the special operators, the rifle manufacturer and Military.com precluded naming the unit, its members or its deployment destination.

The SCAR, which comes in a 5.56mm version and a 7.62mm one, is nearing the end of its field user assessment phase -- the final stage before full-rate production and fielding to units under U.S. Special Operations Command, including SEALs, Green Berets and Air Force Special Tactics units.

The entry of the SCAR into the spec ops community comes as the services, Congress and the Pentagon scuffle over whether or not to replace the current M4 rifle and address persistent complaints over the standard-issued carbine's reported lack of "stopping power" and its need for constant maintenance and cleaning to avoid jams.

But ask the special operations troops firing both the Mk-16 (the 5.56mm version of the SCAR) and the Mk-17, its 7.62mm brethren, and you'll get a completely different response on the rifles' advantages over the venerable M4.

To these hardened commandos, the issue wasn't the new carbine's gas-piston system that many experts agree causes fewer stoppages than the all-gas operated M4 -- they keep their weapons in tip top shape. Instead, some operators appreciated how well the SCAR felt with lead pouring from its muzzle.

"I like it a lot better than the M4," one special operator said after firing a magazine full of 5.56mm through the Mk-16. "There's a lot less recoil."

One Special Forces Soldier applauded the weapon's controls, with safety latches located on both sides of the receiver and situated much closer to the weapon's handle.

"This works better with my stumpy hands," the stocky operator joked.

But by far the feature that most impressed these operators was the SCAR's ability to change from something as small as a submachine gun to a weapon with the reach of a sniper rifle.

Like many competitors to the M4, both the Mk-16 and Mk-17 can be outfitted with barrels ranging from 10 inches for close-quarters battle operations to 18-inch designated marksman barrels.

"That's the best part of this weapon," explained one Special Forces Soldier. "When we deploy, we usually go with just our M4s. But if we're on an operation where we need an overwatch or we're observing at a distance, the M4 doesn't do us much good until it's too late."

With the SCAR, the NCO said, the team could have both the reach and protection of a long gun and the maneuverability and portability of an assault rifle -- all in one.

Both the Mk-17 and Mk-16 have a fully adjustable stock that can be folded to the side to shrink the carbine into the length of a submachine gun. Some of the operators at the test shoot gave the stumpy rifle a try in this configuration, but marksmanship was mixed.

"I'm not sure I'd ever want to fire it like this," one operator said after shooting the Mk-17 with its stock folded. "But it'd sure be nice to fold it up like this for transporting in a vehicle or something."

Officials with FN-USA say that U.S. Special Operations Command has ordered about 18,000 SCAR variants for commandos and a limited run of about 1,200 rifles has already begun.

It's unclear still whether these Special Forces Soldiers will be slinging lead down range with a SCAR pinned to their shoulder on their next deployment, but judging by the pile of spent casings littering the ground during their demo shoot, some of them wouldn't complain if the new rifle wound up in their armory.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

Default Re: Military Tests the SCAR

Three points from my sources "inside."

One, perhaps the best quality of the SCAR is that it runs great with a "can," or sound suppressor. Two, the SCAR-H (7.62x51 NATO) seems to be preferred by "operatorss" to the tune of four or five to one. Finally, the "interchangable barrel" business is a bit of a red herring. As one of my correspondents noted, "Who the H*ll is going to be humping up a mountain with a bag full of barrels??"

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

I don't think the idea is to use a bag full of barrels. More along the lines of being issued with the 5.56mm barrel and have the option to scavange the ammo of the enemy so take whatever barrel is aplicable.

Then you would still be humping barrels. It's always nice to be supplied.

(Wayne County)

The military loves FNH!

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

You would really only need one additional barrel. If you have the 5.56 in place you would only need one for the AK round (I forget the size).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    You would really only need one additional barrel. If you have the 5.56 in place you would only need one for the AK round (I forget the size).
    That would be the 7.62 round. To be used for Mk 17 (AKA - the "heavy"). the Mk 16 5.56 is call the "light"
    7.62 is a long range round with a hell of allot of stopping power.
    I can't wait until it is available to the civilian market, thats if it makes it in time.....the clock is ticking.
    http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm
    Last edited by RONNIE77; August 13th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    The 7.62x39 cartridge is going to be for the SCAR-H (7.62 NATO) the SCAR-L is designed for the 5.56 round.

It would be too easy for them to allow you to use 7.62x39 and 5.56 on the same rifle but I will be happy with a .308 version of the rifle...
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Monroe County)

I thought the big thing with changing barrels was different sizes... so you can go from a 14" barrel which is used for clearing buildings and swap to a 20" barrel for long range accuracy support
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I thought the big thing with changing barrels was different sizes... so you can go from a 14" barrel which is used for clearing buildings and swap to a 20" barrel for long range accuracy support
    that's how i read it too.

i doubt you can change calibers just by switching the barrels.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast