Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Non-resident license to carry for my wife: which state?

So my wife has her PA LTCF, and carries a firearm everywhere. I recently got USMC reserve orders to VA, so we will be traveling there a few times per year. We also like to travel to the Carolinas and someday hope to go to Nevada together. Since a PA LTCF isn't good in VA (because of the new reciprocity debacle), NV, or SC, we are thinking that it would be good for her to have a license from another state to help.
    Looking at VA, only 5 are accepted. I see that one of those is TX, which offers a non-resident license. It would be good in those states.
    What class is required for TX? Sources online seem to point to a TX specific class, but the TX DPS site doesn't state that explicitly. She has taken NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home (PPOTH) for a previous license (Michigan, but they don't issue to non-residents), so would that be adequate?
    Otherwise, what states can be had through the mail and wouldn't require another class? We don't want to spend too much money on a license if we can avoid it.
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by masakarijoe; January 16th, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Adams County)

Default Re: Non-resident license to carry for my wife: which state?

Utah, specific class but offered all over the place.

(Allegheny County)

Since VA is a main destination, why not get a VA non-resident permit?

FWIW, I have one. Very easy to get.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corey G View Post
    Utah, specific class but offered all over the place.
    This. Waiting for mine to process.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    So my wife has her PA LTCF, and carries a firearm everywhere. I recently got USMC reserve orders to VA, so we will be traveling there a few times per year. We also like to travel to the Carolinas and someday hope to go to Nevada together. Since a PA LTCF isn't good in VA (because of the new reciprocity debacle), NV, or SC, we are thinking that it would be good for her to have a license from another state to help.

Looking at VA, only 5 are accepted. I see that one of those is TX, which offers a non-resident license. It would be good in those states.

What class is required for TX? Sources online seem to point to a TX specific class, but the TX DPS site doesn't state that explicitly. She has taken NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home (PPOTH) for a previous license (Michigan, but they don't issue to non-residents), so would that be adequate?

Otherwise, what states can be had through the mail and wouldn't require another class? We don't want to spend too much money on a license if we can avoid it.
    Thanks guys.
    FYI: South Carolina Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the state they honor for your permit to be valid in South Carolina. So no non-resident license will work in SC.

Nevada does not honor Texas as can be seen here:
    http://gsd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gsd....2011-12-15.pdf

Texas requires first time applicants to take a specific course, a list of DPS certifies instructors can be found here: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CH...tOptInList.pdf but it doesn't look like they have out of state instructors.

Utah would cover you in VA and in the long run be a lot cheaper, but not cover you in NV or SC. Utah does have out of state instructors for their CFP that list can be found here: http://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uploa...te01142016.pdf

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Since VA is a main destination, why not get a VA non-resident permit?

FWIW, I have one. Very easy to get.
    Why give money to a state that is clearly anti 2A politician wise, when you drop from 29 to 5 states with reciprocity its nothing more then a political statement. When they see that revenue stream disappear its one way for your voice to be heard. Its now a better decision for VA residents to get Utah or FL Lic then a VA resident Lic as they will need another Lic now if they plan on traveling. I personably think if a state makes a change in reciprocity agreements they should mail every single permit holder to notify them. I wonder how many PA residents think they can still carry in DE legally.

(Allegheny County)

Why give money to a state that is clearly anti 2A politician wise, when you drop from 29 to 5 states with reciprocity its nothing more then a political statement.
    Well, first of all, I don't think missing out on your $100 for a permit will even be a blip on a blip on a blip of a radar. Refusal to get a VA non-res permit is hardly an even remotely effective form of protest.

(Delaware County)

~snip~

I wonder how many PA residents think they can still carry in DE legally.
    I do. .............. With my Utah CFP

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Well, first of all, I don't think missing out on your $100 for a permit will even be a blip on a blip on a blip of a radar. Refusal to get a VA non-res permit is hardly an even remotely effective form of protest.
    I *think* he was referring to giving VA any money AT ALL, as in tourism. Essentially telling half the licensed carriers IN THE COUNTRY "we don't want you here" can have a devastating effect when those carriers say "#^@& you and the horse you rode in on."

My 2¢

I have only one non-resident license (mostly for Delaware and, at the time, Ohio), and my Florida license expires shortly. I've been debating what to replace it with -- a Florida renewal is just like a new application for non-residents, including fingerprints. I was considering Virginia since I have family there, but since it's no longer recognized in Delaware I decided that Utah or Arizona would be the way to go. Now with Virginia dropping Arizona, Utah seems like the obvious choice. In the reciprocity shenanigans in recent years, Utah has been the least likely license to be dropped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast