Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default LCTF and involuntary hospital visits

Let's say one has an LCTF and is carrying. Then let's say you have a medical emergency such that you are taken to the hospital.

What happens to the gun and how do you get it back?

The background of this question is that I'm about to apply for my LCTF, and am starting to consider edge case issues that may affect the way in which I carry.

Thank you!

Default Re: LCTF and involuntary hospital visits

If you don't get it back with your other personal possessions, file a charge of theft, probably also conspiracy.

If it looks like the police have taken it after the hospital, that is receiving stolen property, a 6105 receipt violation, lack of due process. File charges and sue.

The way the hospital treats the scenario is probably as varied as the way police treat them.

Maybe an EMT can chime in on prelim stuff where this occurs.

(Chester County)

Hmm... I'd imagine the people at the hospital would call a police officer or security to handle the unloading of the firearm. I'd also imagine they would hang on to it for safe keeping until it can be given back to you or your family.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm just trying to use some common sense.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    What happens to the gun and how do you get it back?
    Depends. If it's found on scene when they pick you up, it'll be turned over to the police, and you go pick it up from them.

If it's found at the hospital, depending on how they handle things, it may either be turned over to their security department, OR to the police.

In either case, you shouldn't have any trouble getting it back, since it was just taken for the protection of the workers, and not because you had any specific encounter or were a threat with it.

P.S. I'm an EMT

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I just went through this last week. I didn't have a gun, but had a knife and multi-tool. Both were locked up at security and I had to get them back at the end of the day. I'm sure that's what would've happened to the gun. My clothes were cut off by the paremedics and i'm sure they would've have secured the gun with my other person stuff and handed it over to security at the door. There are emt's on here and I know they know the drill.

Anyway, they found my LTCF in my pocket and asked if I had a gun like 4 times.

(Philadelphia County)

As a Paramedic I have normally seen that hospital security or hospital Police (i.e. Temple Hospital) will hold the firearm until your medically safe to leave the hospital. the only exception would be if you were transported to the Emergency Department and then admitted to the pychiatric unit.

that may be grounds to revoke your permit. the legal exps here could answer that.

Greg

(Adams County)

As an EMT, and a police officer, I know that Pa Department of Health regulations prohibit loaded firearms being transported in an ambulance, unless the patient is under arrest, at which time an armed police officer may accompany said patient. But patients are not allowed to have firearms in ambulances. So if the weapon is found on scene, it will be turned over to the police if the patient is unable to find another place for it, (i.e. the patient is unconsious, no family members are present that can legally take possession, etc.)

If, however, the EMT's primary and secondary surveys don't turn up a weapon, and it goes to the hospital, then security will lock it up, issue a receipt, and return it to you when you leave. I used to work hospital security, and we did this several times. We did the same thing with any other valuables that the patient wanted us to secure.

(Lycoming County)

ok i have a few things

1 I was an emt and i don't recall them ever telling us what to do if we found a gun on our pts person.

2 when ever i go to the hospital i always roll my knife up in my cloths and keep it within arms reach. or with my mom. when i had my mri they locked my cloths in the changing room. which is sort of good except i did not have control over who had access. only that any joe walking by couldn't get to it. i suppose i would do the same if i had a gun with me.

3 about the psych unit i only think you would have it revoked if you were 302 ed that is if you are not voluntary.

(Centre County)

In my area security will be called to secure the firearm if you are in the hospital/ED. You can then pick it back up when you are discharged/medically cleared. The obvious exceptions would be if your intoxicated (drugs or alcohol) or being admitted for a psych complaint.

As far as prehospital most of the places I work have PD on the calls, mabye 10-15% don't. If I find it while assessing you I will stop. Identify if you are a threat or could become a threat and take approrpiate actions which would typically involve having PD remove it. No that I don't feel compatant but it's not in my job discription and there are enough other legal quamires I can find myself that I don't need any of that on me.

There are a million other "what ifs" that can happen and do happen and there is NOT a blanket response to either of these type events (both in hospital and out of hospita). They are handled on a case by case basis. YMMV. This are experiences that I have had in MY area of the state. Yours may differ.

Cheers,
    josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Lackawanna County)

CMC in Scranton's practice is: if they find a gun, hospital security will take possession of it for as long as you're in the hospital. if the police are somehow involved, they'll turn it over to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast