Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Is this legal?

(Bradford County)

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Is this legal?

PA offers permits to non-residents.
    And NY delegates permit issuance to the local authority (County sheriffs, CLEO's for cities, etc.) Some people who are wealthy/connected enough or have significant employment interests in NY can occasionally be issued permits (Such as a CT resident who owns a Jewelry store in Manhattan and commutes in for example, and I believe Security guards who live out of state as well).

So on the face of it, I can see how they can come up with something like this.
    Now that said, it doesn't imply that a NY resident can carry in NY with his PA permit, nor that a PA resident can carry in PA with their NY permit.

This is a big win for Bradford county residents though. If I'm not mistaken their NY carry permit is good for the entire state minus the 5 boroughs of NYC.
    Fidelis ad Mortem

(Bradford County)

I know that PA offers non-resident permits. The last I knew, there was a residency requirement for NY. I also thought only the AG's office could enter into a reciprocity agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinaheart View Post
    PA offers permits to non-residents.
    And NY delegates permit issuance to the local authority (County sheriffs, CLEO's for cities, etc.) Some people who are wealthy/connected enough or have significant employment interests in NY can occasionally be issued permits (Such as a CT resident who owns a Jewelry store in Manhattan and commutes in for example, and I believe Security guards who live out of state as well).

So on the face of it, I can see how they can come up with something like this.
    Now that said, it doesn't imply that a NY resident can carry in NY with his PA permit, nor that a PA resident can carry in PA with their NY permit.

This is a big win for Bradford county residents though. If I'm not mistaken their NY carry permit is good for the entire state minus the 5 boroughs of NYC.
    Interesting.
    IINM though a judge in Chemung county NY still needs to sign off on the permit. If they have worked something out that will allow non restricted permits to be issued to Bradford county residents and it's all legit it may catch on.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by biddy View Post
    I know that PA offers non-resident permits. The last I knew, there was a residency requirement for NY. I also thought only the AG's office could enter into a reciprocity agreement.
    This is not reciprocity. At least not in the sense of honoring each states permits, but allowing access to obtain non resident permits.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Cumberland County)

There are two of these threads so I'll post here also. NY has a permit to purchase or own a pistol. They allegedly have a carry permit. No where in the article is the word carry or concealed mentioned. I think it is a permit to own a pistol in NY while at a vacation home or something similar.

(Lackawanna County)

I had to go in front of a judge to get a carry permit in NY state, had to do training, etc, to get unlimited. I didn't 'have' a business storefront, but did contract work at night that put me in gas stations at any time overnight...

He gave me some hoops, but let me have one.

New judge would not allow the license to be renewed (there, you don't sinply 'renew', it is back through the whole process again. Could only carry one of the two guns on the list.)
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    There are two of these threads so I'll post here also. NY has a permit to purchase or own a pistol. They allegedly have a carry permit. No where in the article is the word carry or concealed mentioned. I think it is a permit to own a pistol in NY while at a vacation home or something similar.
    Outside of NYC (which I understand even less), all NY pistol purchase/ownership permits ARE carry permits, of a sort. It's just a matter of where you are restricted to carry (if at all), such as business only or home and range only being some of the strictest. Many counties will issue unrestricted permits.

The restrictions are NOT enforcible under law. If you get caught carrying on a restricted permit, the police department might contact the issuing authority and they will likely revoke your permit. You don't go to trial or jail or anything.

That's my understanding from having heard it explained numerous times, but I am no expert in NY gun laws.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Berks County)

A bit more info, but I can't see how this is legit. I wouldn't want to be a PA resident stopped in NY by a NY state trooper.

http://www.weny.com/news/local-news/...ermits-1-11-15

http://www.stargazette.com/story/new...ment/78675180/

(Jefferson County)

It isn't legal. NY can only issue to NY residents, except a certain non-residents due to employment or owning a business within NY.

And, already discussed here - http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=296127
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!