Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default obtaining a non residents concealed carry permit

hello everyone,my name is mark and i live in the getting there state of communist virginia.since my communistic attorney general decided to not recognize pa permits amongst others,i need to obtain a pa permit.can someone tell me the best way to go about doing that.this forums website showed that cumberland county would issue one but when i looked at their website,it said they didnt.any help on this is appreciated.thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: obtaining a non residents concealed carry permit

I think York and Bedford counties issue to non-residents. ....I think. I know for certain that Centre County will.

The fee is $20. You must apply in person. You must bring your VA permit with you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

thanks for the info,ill keep it in mind.if i have to be in person then ill be in person

Fayette County has been friendly to non-residents as well. But, as mentioned, no matter which county you apply in, you must appear in person; can't be done by mail.
    Here's a list of all PA sheriffs phone #s.
    https://www.pasheriffs.org/index.php...s/sheriff-info

(Lackawanna County)

When my wife and I renewed in october 2 people from NY. Got theirs. 20.00 in and carry out
    Permit in about 15 to 20 minutes in Lackawanna Co.

Lancaster County issues in about twenty minutes, so I have been told. I went to the Sheriff's Office at Reading Municipal Airport in Berks County, had one person ahead of me. Twenty minutes.

Rick

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I think York and Bedford counties issue to non-residents. ....I think. I know for certain that Centre County will.

The fee is $20. You must apply in person. You must bring your VA permit with you.

Correction... You must APPEAR in person when you pick up your LTCF. The OP should choose a county that is both convenient and one that issues to
    non-residents. Because he lives in Hopewell he may want to come north up I-83 and can choose from Lancaster, York, or Adams. Frequenting other forums,
    I have heard each of these 3 will issue to non-residents.

Google their respective web sites (once you have chosen one) and download the application and print it out, complete it, and mail it in along with a copy of your Virginia permit. You will be notified by mail when your PA LTCF has been processed and is ready to be picked up. THIS is when you must appear in person. From what I have heard you should expect this process to be quick. The Sheriff will hold your LTCF for a while, and they should tell you how long they will hold it, but they will not hold it indefinitely. You do not need fingerprints or a photograph. They will take your photo when you appear. Make sure you bring a form of payment they accept, typically cash or check, they do not accept plastic.

I95N to 495W to 95N to 695W to 83N, to York. Then 30E to Lancaster, 30W to Gettysburg. All 3 are good and even though I live in York and have never had a problem I have heard the most glowing reports from Lancaster. You might want to call ahead to all three and feel them out for yourself. Good luck, although you won't need it!

York: (717)771-9601
    York County Sheriff’s Office
    York County Judicial Center, 1st Floor
    45 N. George Street
    York, PA. 17401
    Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
    Form and info: https://yorkcountypa.gov/courts-crim...-firearms.html

Lancaster: 717-299-8200
    50 North Duke Street
    PO Box 83480
    Lancaster, PA 17608
    Monday - Friday
    8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
    Firearms Unit: http://web.co.lancaster.pa.us/372/Firearms-Unit

Adams:
    117 Baltimore St # 4
    Gettysburg, PA 17325
    (717) 337-9828
    8:00a.m. – 4:30p.m.​
    Monday - Friday​
    Forms: http://www.adamscounty.us/Dept/Sheri...Documents.aspx

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Correction... You must APPEAR in person when you pick up your LTCF.

It's my understanding it could be when you apply or when you pick up, they need to capture your signature and photo into the system and can be done at either end if it's a place that doesn't issue on the spot.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    It's my understanding it could be when you apply or when you pick up, they need to capture your signature and photo into the system and can be done at either end if it's a place that doesn't issue on the spot.

By way of example, in York, application in person consists of "put your app in the basket please, have a nice day, we'll notify you when it's processed".
    You just wasted a trip, should have mailed it in. Coming from Hopewell that's not very practical. If a prior arrangement can lead to an immediate processing then that's awesome.

Otherwise, appearance in person at application is optional. Appearance in at pickup is required.

Nothing should be assumed the way some of our Sheriff's have been acting. I'd hate to see the poor guy have to make 2 trips when one would suffice.
    If the Sheriff gets a burr up his ass, or if the applicant gets denied (perhaps because Va's licensing and ours are not the same), or simply PICS delayed
    (which happens often enough) and his intended in-and-out trip could be a bust.

I'm just trying to be practical based on the guy's travel. If he lived 8 miles inside of Maryland I doubt I would have posted anything in this thread.

Admittedly, instead of saying "Correction...", I should have said "Although correct, a more practical approach for the OP's location...", as Knight was technically
    correct in that you must appear in person, at some point.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Otherwise, appearance in person at application is optional. Appearance in at pickup is required.
    Just for clarification, some counties require you to apply in person but don't issue on the spot -- they mail the license to you later. Check with the sheriff's office before you make the trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast