Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Smith and Wessons - Deal ?

even without shrillary holes, those are pricey without box and paperwork.

excellent shooters....at about 675 to 700

and that's as high as I'd go.

and, that looks like a 686, not a 586....unless you've got one hell of a camera flash.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

The 29 is ballpark, especially since it is nickel. Any N-frame today is capable of bringing $700 to $1000. Being a model 29, and nickel to boot, ups the ante slightly. I think I'd try to buy it for $800 OTD.

The price on the 586 is high. The fact that it's nickel makes it somewhat rarer than its blued brethren, but not anywhere near what they want. I just ran across a blued 586-4 (to me the most desirable engineering change) for $575. My friend bought it and said that upon closer examination it appears unfired - or, at the least, fired very little. To me the nickel 586 is, at most a $600 to $625 gun.

Keep in mind the engineering changes affect value. The 29-3 was the first one not pinned & recessed and, unless it is marked 29-3E, does not have the endurance enhancements. Likewise the 586 if a -3 or lower, has the old style rear sight on it, that is longer available from Smith and also is not drilled and tapped at the factory for optics installation, so, to me, a -4 is more desirable - after the -4 models you start to deal with MIM components, floating firing pins and locks (none of which really matter to me, except they do affect resale value and ease).

At the prices stated, the 29 is the better buy, but they are both high.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Is one of those blue? They both look shiny on my screen. A 586 is .357 blue and a 686 is .357 stainless. Not sure what I'm seeing there.
    I must correct myself. 586 also came in Nickel. I only ever saw them in blue. 686 was only in stainless.

(Bucks County)

i bought a LNIB stainless steel 629 a couple of years ago for 600 so 880 seems to be what you can buy a new one for, nice looking guns but priced a bit high in my opinion.

(Philadelphia County)

If you are planning on shooting a 44 mag I will mention two things, 1 the S&W tamer grips originally made for the Smith 500 does a great job of reducing the felt recoil on any N frame, 2 don't neglect the new 44 mags and remember those MSRPs are not what you are going to pay for a new gun. Figure no more than $850 to $875 for a new 629 three or four inch. Figure in the warranty and it begins to look like a winner. And that gun will not go down in value. Think about it.

Right now I am see on GB brand new 629 3" Talo Model: 150715 online for $875. No tax, shipping and FFL on your end. Looking down the page I see one for $810.00 buy now, no auction to worrying about.

And the internal lock is not an issue if it is not used. It is only an issue if you make a big deal over something that happened way back around 1992 IIRC. Old news.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all. I told them to go ahead an put them on Gunbroker and if they don't get what they want - I would do $625-$650 for the 586 and $725-$750 on the 29-3. Probably won't happen, but we will see. Not too worried about the recoil in the 29-3 seeing I already have a snub nose 44 magnum and have survived shooting that - barely

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    even without shrillary holes, those are pricey without box and paperwork.

excellent shooters....at about 675 to 700

and that's as high as I'd go.

and, that looks like a 686, not a 586....unless you've got one hell of a camera flash.
    I totally agree these prices are high. I have bought and sold several of these in the last two years or so.

(Lancaster County)

Recoil in the 44 mag can be anything you want it to be if you reload for it, which at current ammo prices it'd be stupid not to. You can load it as soft as 45 ACP or hot enough to kill buffalo or anything in between.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12