Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs up California school district doubles down on conceal carry policy despite new state law

Weeks after Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill barring concealed weapons on K-12 school grounds, one district in Northern California is reaffirming its policy to allow the practice, and the local police chief agrees.

The Anderson Union High School District will continue to allow licensed employees to carry concealed weapons on school campuses, with officials saying it will keep students and faculty safe.

“It is definitely a pro to have people armed, responsible people armed who have been vetted and can actually provide another layer of protection for the kids,” Anderson Police Chief Mike Johnson told KRCR-TV.

Anderson is located in the northern California county of Shasta, about 200 miles north of San Francisco.

The old law allowed school employees to carry if they had written permission from the district or a concealed carry permit, but the new law, Senate Bill 707, only allows exceptions for peace officers, both retired and active. The bill essentially creates a state-mandated local program, the description of the new law said.

School Superintendant Tim Azevedo could not be reached to clarify whether the district believes it is defying the new state law by keeping the status quo.

However, Alan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, said the district is within its rights.

“The intent of the new law is obviously to discourage teachers from having firearms to protect themselves and their students," Gottlieb said. "But the law allows the school districts locally to make these decisions on their own. And maybe this new law will help convince school districts that they actually should make this decision on their own.”

Gottlieb said he thinks this school district policy is “fantastic” and hope that other districts in California and school districts throughout the nation follow suit, to help put an end to victim disarmament zones.

“But to make it really work, the policy needs to be publicized, so that bad actors know they are more at risk by trying to hurt our children at these facilities,” Gottlieb said.

Evidence shows concealed carry policies protect campuses from would-be attackers, said John Lott, founder of the Crime Prevention Research Center.

“Even just a few people or even a couple who might be armed at a school can make a big difference in terms of whether or not terrorist types attack there,” Lott said. “It is amazing how these killers talk explicitly about picking targets where they know victims cannot go and defend themselves. … where people are not armed and not able to stop them.”

Groups like the Brady Campaign have opposed firearms on campuses across the nation, saying they create additional safety issues.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Juniata County)

Default Re: California school district doubles down on conceal carry policy despite new state

Good for them
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

Default Re: California school district doubles down on conceal carry policy despite new state

I feel bad for the freedom loving Americans born in states like California and (for good reason) choose to stand up for their rights rather than 'flee the state'

As a whole we really should be doing more to support outposts of our own, instead of the usual "well hopefully CA and NJ break off and float away"

Wow. They're all not brain dead out there after all.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Wow. They're all not brain dead out there after all.
    Apparently its much like our own and many other states where a few highly populated urban and suburban areas full of liberals and hippies control the state and national representatives to the government. COnservatives might out number them over all, but voter apathy due to "Moderates" (Rinos) running the republican party and remote voting places skew the states in the democratic persuasion.
    I just had a thought here; we need to start a mirror political type called DINOs that would vote pro conservative/ libertarian on most issues.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I just had a thought here; we need to start a mirror political type called DINOs that would vote pro conservative/ libertarian on most issues.
    Interesting view point.

The older I get the more the idea of "no pain no gain" takes on new meaning. So often we humans want something but we (for whatever reason) are not willing to suffer for what we want.

Good for those people in Shasta County, CA. But the questions is what is their pain tolerance. The CA regime will not back down.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Apparently its much like our own and many other states where a few highly populated urban and suburban areas full of liberals and hippies control the state and national representatives to the government. COnservatives might out number them over all, but voter apathy due to "Moderates" (Rinos) running the republican party and remote voting places skew the states in the democratic persuasion.
    That's what the Blue Dog Coalition is. Just don't hear about them too much lately.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus