Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Ducks or Birds in SE PA?

Hey There,
    Wondering whether anybody has any experience hunting ducks/geese or upland birds anywhere in southeastern PA? I am really interested in getting into that type of hunting and would love to pick your brain a little bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Ducks or Birds in SE PA?

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    Hey There,
    Wondering whether anybody has any experience hunting ducks/geese or upland birds anywhere in southeastern PA? I am really interested in getting into that type of hunting and would love to pick your brain a little bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have, what would you like to know
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; August 7th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Delaware County)

Hey Jimmy,
    Thanks for the quick response. I am just starting out so I have a lot of questions. I guess the first and most important are these: 1.) As far as I can tell once I take my hunters safety course and migratory bird course I'm good to go, in season, with a general hunting liscense. Am I correct or am I missing something? and 2.) I asked this in the shotgun forum too, but what should I be looking for in a gun? Barrel length? 12 or 20 ga? semi or pump? correct chokes? Can a duck gun and a pheasant/dove gun be had in a single gun or are they totally seperate specs.? All that and more is what I am trying to figure out. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

(Delaware County)

Ok I'll try to make this a simple as I can:

With your general hunting license you must buy a migratory game bird tag. Just ask for it when you buy your license. It's only 3 bucks.

If you want to hunt waterfowl you have to buy the above license PLUS a federal duck stamp. They are sold at most post offices.

Your next question is easier: A 12GA shotgun with a field barrel and screw in chokes is all you need to hunt all birds. Barrel length I like is 28" but I have also used 26" with good sucess. Just make sure the chokes are good for steel shot as well as lead. Pumps will be the most economical, auto loaders,over and unders and side by sides will be pricey. Use what feels good to you.

Does that help?
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; August 7th, 2008 at 09:05 PM.

(Delaware County)

Also very important:

doves/pheasants use lead shot

waterfowl use steel or non toxic shot NO LEAD BIG FINE!!!!

(Delaware County)

HUGE help, thanks a lot. Why can't the state websites put it that clearly and simply!? I better get started on getting all liscensed up and finding a good gun. Thanks again.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    HUGE help, thanks a lot. Why can't the state websites put it that clearly and simply!? I better get started on getting all liscensed up and finding a good gun. Thanks again.
    Its all spelled out in the digest you get with your hunting license. I suggest you read it cover to cover each year because the laws are changing constantly.....

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    Ok I'll try to make this a simple as I can:

With your general hunting license you must buy a migratory game bird tag. Just ask for it when you buy your license. It's only 3 bucks.

If you want to hunt waterfowl you have to buy the above license PLUS a federal duck stamp. They are sold at most post offices.

Your next question is easier: A 12GA shotgun with a field barrel and screw in chokes is all you need to hunt all birds. Barrel length I like is 28" but I have also used 26" with good sucess. Just make sure the chokes are good for steel shot as well as lead. Pumps will be the most economical, auto loaders,over and unders and side by sides will be pricey. Use what feels good to you.

Does that help?
    Like any hobby, it can get as pricey as you make it. If you are the type who cannot leave the house without that fully engraved completely exquisite side by side or O/U, then you'd better have a good paying job to pay for it. Then again, you can go to Dick's sporting goods and find a decent working man's over/under or SXS for around $300.00. Its all in how much you want to spend or impress.

For me, I've always gone to the plain jane guns for hunting. They get the job done and I don't have to worry about them if they come home with a few new character marks.

(Lancaster County)

You need the federal duck stamp to hunt all migratory game birds, not just waterfowl. Migratory game birds include ducks, geese, woodcock, doves, coot, and rails.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3030 View Post
    You need the federal duck stamp to hunt all migratory game birds, not just waterfowl. Migratory game birds include ducks, geese, woodcock, doves, coot, and rails.
    That statement is incorrect and we have a newbie here trying to learn what the law's really are. Read your 2008-2009 regs book again. The stated regs on Migratory Game Birds and Waterfowl are on pages 29,30, and 96.

It plainly says "to hunt waterfowl". It does not say that a Federal Duck Stamp is needed for Migratory Game Birds (doves, woodcock, etc.) If you don't understand it's b/c you are interpreting the law incorrectly. Unless you are the guy who wrote it and you just didn't feel like telling everyone else what you really meant.
    Last edited by Feddog82; August 12th, 2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast