Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ar 10 scope/ red dot combo

Hey guys, I think I've decided on the nikon p 308 scope for my dpms ar 10 (rflr ap4....16" carbine). But I saw a setup I thought was pretty slick that had a scope similar to the p308, but then either integrated to the scope mount/ rings, or a separate thing ( not sure that's why I'm asking) there was a picatini rail with a small burris or trijicon reflex sight on top. Searched around but haven't found too much to go off of. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I may find something like this? Or if it wouldn't work with the p 308 can someone recommend a scope set up like this that would?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by 03machstock; January 6th, 2016 at 04:47 PM.

Default Re: Ar 10 scope/ red dot combo

I like Nikon optics as they are easy on the bank account and quality is ok, but I'm not a fan of Nikon's BDC reticles. Those dots cover up a lot of the target and I dislike them and do not find them to be useful to longer shots.

What you are talking about is having an offset mount to add a reflex or mini red dot for close targets. You will see this type of set up in 3 gun...you use your magnified optics at longer ranges and the red dot would be used for close up shots.

Just keep in mind that this will add more weight to your DPMS. I've owned three AR10 DPMS and they shot well, but were on the heavy side.

What is your intended purpose of the rifle? I'd start there and figure out what would be your best options based on how you will use the rifle/optics and what your budget is to set up your rig.

Budget is going to determine what you buy.

BTW, where are you shooting? I'm also in Pottstown.

0-400 yards, all around shooting/ defense ( jack of all trades master of none) I have 556 Guns and I prefer iron sights but I figured this being 308 and not fixed carry handle like I usually run I'd try out a scope for longer stuff. I thought about eotech with magnifier but don't know a whole lot about them. I agree they are heavy guns, just figured a scope with a reflex sight might give me a little of both. Nccsc, or new holland for ranges, but both may have a waiting list right now.

You do not want to buy Eotech...they were sued by the government and they are paying out 26 million. I've never been an Eotech fan and now with this news, I'm thankful that I have never owned Eotech.

Trijicon RMR is very small/compact and they have combat reliability. I like their tritium RMR as it does not require batteries. Big negative with Trijicon is price. I heard the Leupold Delta Point is good if you want a micro red dot.

I ended up getting a vortex diamondback hp 5x16x42 and a larue quick disconnect mount. Still working on position but so far it seems ok.

Just a note on the P and M308 scopes from Nikon, they offer a hell of a lot for the cost I've personally had 0 issues with the BDC on the P223 out to further ranges and Nikons free ballistic online or App calculator has just a about every load possibly there is pre programmed into it providing percise info for long range shooting which I feel is an invaluable tool.