Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Memorandum -- Promoting Smart Gun Technology MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE

SUBJECT: Promoting Smart Gun Technology

For more than 20 years, the Federal Government has worked to keep guns out of the wrong hands through background checks. This critical effort in addressing gun violence has prevented more than two million prohibited firearms purchases from being completed. But tens of thousands of people are still injured or killed by firearms every year -- in many cases by guns that were sold legally but then stolen, misused, or discharged accidentally. Developing and promoting technology that would help prevent these tragedies is an urgent priority.

In 2013, I directed the Department of Justice to review the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies, such as devices requiring a scan of the owner's fingerprint before a gun can fire. In its report, the Department made clear that technological advancements in this area could help reduce accidental deaths and the use of stolen guns in criminal activities.

Millions of dollars have already been invested to support research into a broad range of concepts for improving gun safety. We must all do our part to continue to advance this research and encourage its practical application, and it is possible to do so in a way that makes the public safer and is consistent with the Second Amendment. The Federal Government has a unique opportunity to do so, as it is the single largest purchaser of firearms in the country. Therefore, by the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby direct the following:

Section 1. Research and Development. The Department of Defense, the Department of Justice, and the Department of Homeland Security (departments) shall, to the extent practicable and permitted by law, conduct or sponsor research into gun safety technology that would reduce the frequency of accidental discharge or unauthorized use of firearms, and improve the tracing of lost or stolen guns. Not later than 90 days after the date of this memorandum, the Secretary of Defense, the Attorney General, and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall prepare jointly a report outlining a research and development strategy designed to expedite the real-world deployment of such technology for use in practice.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...gun-technology
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Memorandum -- Promoting Smart Gun Technology MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF DEF

And the Joint Report?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Memorandum -- Promoting Smart Gun Technology MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF DEF

They've already done that study. The study found the following:

The items shown above are highly effective in reducing "accidental discharge or unauthorized use of firearms". Since no thugs were produced, no firearms were stolen; making the requirement to "improve the tracing of lost or stolen guns" unnecessary.

Seriously though -
    Yet again, instead of going after the criminals, saddle the law abiding citizen with more bull shit regulations because of the actions of the criminals. It make sense to politicians; law abiding citizens don't shoot back. yet
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Bucks County)

I believe most gun owners know what these people are up to---this is the gun grab. Back door registration via "FFL clause" and eventually (slowly) make us all criminals and unable to own a firearm. I'm surprised they haven't used the IRS' power to "persuade" or influence seizure of property, guns.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I believe most gun owners know what these people are up to---this is the gun grab. Back door registration via "FFL clause" and eventually (slowly) make us all criminals and unable to own a firearm. I'm surprised they haven't used the IRS' power to "persuade" or influence seizure of property, guns.
    Well, the pieces are already there. Do some research on why the ATF exists.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    They've already done that study. The study found the following:

The items shown above are highly effective in reducing "accidental discharge or unauthorized use of firearms". Since no thugs were produced, no firearms were stolen; making the requirement to "improve the tracing of lost or stolen guns" unnecessary.

Seriously though -
    Yet again, instead of going after the criminals, saddle the law abiding citizen with more bull shit regulations because of the actions of the criminals. It make sense to politicians; law abiding citizens don't shoot back. yet
    .GOV is going to spend $300million doing what this guy in the vid figured out for $7.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    SUBJECT: Promoting Smart Gun Technology
    <snip>
    The Federal Government has a unique opportunity to do so, as it is the single largest purchaser of firearms in the country.
    <snip>
    When the "single largest purchaser of firearms in the country" starts requiring Smart Guns for their users (Secret Service especially, but all alphabet agencies too) I might begin to consider maybe possibly trying the technology on an investigative basis. But probably not.

As for requiring for us and NOT them:
    Rusty Pineapple.jpg
    1. Invert
    2. Insert
    3. Withdraw
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the idea passes

(Lackawanna County)

Smart guns for the military? An idea whose time has never been, nor should be. Just pissing away money to political donors.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Cumberland County)

Let's tap into some of this bull shit. I'm a programmer. I'm sure we have some other software guys and some hardware guys on here. Let's start a company to research some "smart gun" technology. We'll get $$ from the fed, then produce nothing - while we all draw HUGE paychecks. After a year or so, they will pull our funding. The company folds and we make a nice donation to the NRA.

Who's with me?

Why not? It worked for Solyndra.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    Let's tap into some of this bull shit. I'm a programmer. I'm sure we have some other software guys and some hardware guys on here. Let's start a company to research some "smart gun" technology. We'll get $$ from the fed, then produce nothing - while we all draw HUGE paychecks. After a year or so, they will pull our funding. The company folds and we make a nice donation to the NRA.

Who's with me?

Why not? It worked for Solyndra.
    I work in IT. Where do I sign up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast